• 07 Jan 2013 at 5:59 PM

Paul Krugman Forces Obama Back To The Drawing Board

Sayeth Kruggles: “Yes, I’ve heard about the notion that I should be nominated as Treasury Secretary. I’m flattered, but it really is a bad idea. Part of the reason is that I am indeed the World’s Worst Administrator — and that does matter. Someone else can do the paperwork — but an administrative job requires making hiring and firing decisions, it means keeping track of many things, and that, to say the least, is not my forte…officials inside the administration can of course have even more influence — but only if they’re good at a very different kind of game, that of persuading the president and his inner circle in behind-closed-doors discussion. And everything I know about myself says that I’m not very good at that game. By my reckoning, then, an administration job, no matter how senior, would actually reduce my influence, leaving me unable to say publicly what I really think and all too probably finding myself unable to make headway in internal debates.” [NYT, related]

1. Posted by guest | January 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Obama must be devastated.

2. Posted by everyone | January 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

the world would have been better off ending last month.

3. Posted by 10xLevered | January 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM

"I suck."
    -Paul Krugman

4. Posted by Incitatus | January 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Waaaaaaaaay too many cats.
    -United States Senate

5. Posted by Bowing to The Master | January 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I used to think I was the "King of the Bullshitters" but now even I must refer to Paul Krugman as "Sire…."

6. Posted by Mrs_Slocombe | January 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

…In a related report, Krugman further commented “Notwithstanding my inability to manage even the simplest task (including re-ordering filters for the department Mr. Coffee machine), accepting such a Treasury post would hamper my ability to tax all that young co-ed ass.”

7. Posted by gfgf | January 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Maybe all the persuasion in the world couldn't push a bad idea?

- guy who thinks krugman developed a model to tell him if he'd be successful at closed-door discussions

8. Posted by nakedahort mobile | January 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

my dad loves your shit
    -nakedshort

9. Posted by Dobo | January 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Thanks Paul for finding something we agree on.

10. Posted by jim toronto | January 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Couldn't squeeze in "World's Worst Administrator" alongside "Nobel Prize Winner," "Former Enron Adviser," and "Unabashed Partisan Hack" on that resume

11. Posted by 2 cubes over | January 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Where's his pussy cat?

12. Posted by Shaqtus | January 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

(sigh) I hate you so much Paul.

13. Posted by sohbet | May 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

telling these little stories, here's a good idea: Have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener.