News

The McRib is Not the Answer

I don’t know what exactly it is a metric of—the economic crisis? healthier eating habits? better taste? the inexplicable success of that extremely annoying actress playing Wendy in the commercials? the cannibalization of its flagship product by the McRib?—but a McDonald’s milestone has been delayed.

According to leading economists and actuarial scientists (McDonald’s itself no longer calculates such things), Ray Kroc’s little hamburger stand was poised to sell its 300 billionth burger this year. But no more.

A recent slowdown has likely delayed that. Sales slowed throughout 2012 and, in October, McDonald’s had its first year-on-year drop in comparable sales since 2003….

A sales rebound in November as a result of new offerings such as cheddar, bacon and onion burgers and the reintroduction of the McRib in December likely salvaged the full quarter from a revenue decline. But menu tweaks will go only so far in addressing a fundamental problem: Fast food isn’t the growth business it once was.

While that is probably a wonderful thing for humanity and for U.S. healthcare costs, it’s not so great for McDonald’s and the rest of the “informal eating out” crowd. But the Kingdom of Arches did, at least, top analysts’ estimates this morning by five cents a share, thanks to the McRib and the Dollar Menu.

Net income increased to $1.4 billion, or $1.38 share, from $1.38 billion, or $1.33, a year earlier, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in a statement. Analysts projected $1.33, the average of 28 estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Chief Executive Officer Don Thompson boosted advertising of the chain’s dollar menu items, such as McDouble burgers and McChicken sandwiches, to draw Americans as consumer confidence falls. Sales at U.S. stores open at least 13 months rose 0.3 percent in the quarter. Analysts projected a 0.5 percent drop, the average of 22 estimates compiled by Consensus Metrix.

For actuarial purposes, do McDouble burgers count as two burgers on the long, arduous road to 300 billion?

McDonald’s 300-Billionth Burger Delayed [WSJ]
McDonald’s Profit Rises as Dollar Menu Drives U.S. Sales [Bloomberg]

46 comments

46 Responses to “The McRib is Not the Answer”

1. Guest says:

Why are actuarial scientists making this calculation? I can see why they'd be interested in how many burgers an individual is eating, but I'm unclear as to why / how they would be calculating how many burgers are being eaten in aggregate.

2. Matt's Mom says:

Fewer quotes, more charts!!

3. Matt's Mom again says:

Didn't your mother ever teach you never start a sentence with but?

4. Guest says:

Being the CEO of McDonalds seems like an easy job. Stop selling the McRib in one quarter – celebrate the increase Big Mac sales; start selling the McRib next quarter – celebrate overall revenue growth. Rinse, repeat.

5. Danker_Banker says:

The guy sitting next to me on the plane with the seat belt extender is proud to be doing his part in reaching 300B

6. Guest says:

Shazam ! Shazamwdich.

7. Im_a_Dude says:

Jon, do you know what they call a Big mac in Paris?

8. Guestalt says:

Matt writes an interesting article about shadow banking, and Shazar writes about the McRib. That's about right. Shazar's becoming a fucking caricature of himself

9. Administration says:

How DARE you question my incompetence, negligence and lies! I am a member of the Obama Administration, and EVERYTHING we have done is the fault of the REPUBLICANS!

~Any Member of the Obama Administration

10. Guest says:

I would like one McRib and a chocolate Shazake please.

-Leroy Jenkins

11. Fine, I'll say it says:

I happen to know everything there is to know about McRibs. I love McRibs. I love McRibs with French Fries. I love them with a large Coke. And I take McRibs and put them in my hair when I've had a rough week. What do you think holds it up, slick?

12. Buzzword Strategy says:

Do you get some techniques to evade end satisfy commencing being stolen? I'd definitely be pleased about it. The weather will be excellent for spring wine tasting in Bettigen. Just passed CFA level1 I am on fire now to the top.

• Quant me maybe says:

Translated back into Ukranian your post looks like this:

Ви отримуєте деякі методи, щоб уникнути кінця задовольнити починаючи крадіжки? Я безумовно радий цього приводу. Погода буде відмінно підходять для весни дегустація вин в Bettigen. Просто пройшло CFA level1 я у вогні тепер на самому верху.

About right?

13. VonSloneker says:

Agree to disagree…red is smokin'

14. Deleveraging says:

Do your shareholders and society a favor. Cut your menu to one item, coffee. If you need to run promotions; have box burning contests.

15. Jon's mom says:

Jon sucks.

16. Guest says:

The redhead in the Wendy's commercials actually is Wendy Thomas…

17. chat says:

goods blogs thankssadsa

18. sohbet says:

goods blogs thanksasdasd

19. sohbet says:

oyment to talk to your publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

20. asd publish. It is well-articulated, razor-sharp, along with goal. What beneficial instruction you may have learned that you put onto this kind of release. Searching to

21. Way cool. I know a family who went on a Disney cruise through Make-A-Wish and had a great time. Their daughter is profoundly handicapped and uses a wheelchair, but everything was taken care of and went smoothly for them. I hope that, arçelik klima servisi whatever Tori winds up choosing for her magic, you all have a great time too.

22. klima says:

Make A Wish is near and dear to my heart as I lost my 14 year old cousin to Melanoma 9 years ago. We were so happy to be a part of webmaster forumu the day yesterday. Good luck Tori and I hope you stay feeling well and that they find a cure for that bad NF!

23. Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer associated with smoking. However, cancer of the larynx, mouth, throat, bladder and esophagus are pop radyo all very common forms of cancer that are directly caused by cigarette smoke. Also, cancers of the kidney, stomach, pancreas and even a form of leukemia are linked with, though not directly caused by, smoking. Thanks for sharing.

24. klima bakimi says:

Clinical practitioners focus demirdöküm kombi servisi
    mainly on the health of individuals, while public health practitioners consider the overall health of communities and populations. Workplace wellness programs are increasingly adopted by companies for their value in improving the health and well being of their employees, as are school health services to improve the health and well being of children. Thanks.

25. General symptoms occur due to distant effects of the cancer that are not related to direct or metastatic spread. These may include, unintentional weight loss, fever, being excessively tired, and changes to the skin. Hodgkin vaillant kombi servisi disease, leukemias, and cancers of the liver or kidney can cause a persistent fever of unknown origin.

26. Want to buy a new home or refinance to a lower mortgage rate? Quicken Loans has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau vaillant kombi servisi

27. klimaservisi says:

You can look at the logo design as baymak kombi servisi a separate task or as a part of the total corporate identity development. One way or another I will assure you that logo design …

28. Professional address book computer code (PIM) wherever you'll save phone numbers, emails, day, etc. with a easy however advanced phone book. kombi servisi
    With many exhibiting corporations on-hand, we're creating it easier for you to seek out, compare, and receive quotes from contract makers like an expert …Go title link

29. klimabakimi says:

Grants seriously ill children their most cherished wish. Features supporters, volunteers, events, shops, and national wish day. Charity granting beylikdüzü kombi servisi wishes of children and young people aged between 3 and 17 living with life threatening illnesses.Grants seriously ill children their most cherished wish. Features supporters, volunteers, events, shops, and national wish day.

30. I am going through this post and thinking of it’s theme and trying to understand what is this post about. At last I can have found something from this post kadıköy kombi servisi which feels pretty good.So I can not but am writing this comment to express my appreciation. The calendar below shows upcoming Make a Wish events. Simply click on dates in blue to view the details of the event happening that day.

31. Or in New York, $100MM will demirdöküm kombi servisi get you a nice plaque in Central Park, he went on to note.

32. sohbet says:

officers to investigate Blackstone's fishy financial transactions, but they wound up giving them

33. Logo Design says:

34. · 10 weeks ago
    Ya da New York'ta, 100MM $ olacak klima servisi size Central Park'ta güzel bir plak olsun, o not için gitti.

35. klima servis says:

Such a blaster information shared. Looks to me a great feature to make your website great to visit. Thanksvestel klima servisi

36. t tout à fait juste. Au temps de ma jeunesse les grands journaux avaient des envoyés spéciaux permanents en Afrique de l’Ouest. Des gens qui connaissaient hommes et lieux en profonde

37. Such a blaster information shared. Looks to me a great feature to make your website great to visit. Thanks