News

Alpine Climes Are the Perfect Habitat for Real-Estate Bubbles

Foreigners keep pouring (their money) into Switzerland, partying like it’s 2007, and the powers that be can’t seem to do a thing about it. But they’re trying.

The country, which already has more stringent capital rules for its banks than other European nations, said lenders would be required to hold an additional 1 percent of risk-weighted assets to make the financial system more stable in light of an “excessive rise in prices in the real estate market and exorbitant mortgage debt.” Banks have until Sept. 30 to comply….

An index created by the Swiss bank UBS measuring the likelihood of a Swiss property bubble was “clearly in the risk zone,” the bank wrote in a note to investors this month.

In the final three months of 2012, house prices soared to six times the annual average Swiss household income compared with about four times in 2000, according to the bank. It called the ever-rising demand for properties not intended for personal use “remarkable.”

In Frothy Real Estate Market, Switzerland Tightens Capital Rules on Banks [DealBook]

8 comments

8 Responses to “Alpine Climes Are the Perfect Habitat for Real-Estate Bubbles”

1. Alt_EST says:

The risk zone? Is that anywhere near the….DANGER ZONE!?!

-S. Archer

2. Guest says:

Lame, except for the blond platts. Get your RE froth in Sydney.

3. ahwatukee says:

i was thinking the same but it's risky

4. figos says:

I agree with you, but although there are more reasons not to buy a house, I still would like to buy one, not right now because I haven't decided what kind of house I want or how much I am willing to give for it. I prefer to buy first the furniture, the Sleep Number beds, the bathroom cabinets and so on. You got the idea!

5. Ozak Oktem says:

6. Tobye says:

I obtained here debate stuff.This is very rewarding and astounding post,i consider to recommend it.Thanks for sharing great info.

7. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You're amazing!

8. It was my first time read this, thanks for the post.

Our Sites