• 19 Feb 2013 at 2:11 PM

Beware the Delicate Ears of the Industrials Analyst

Some things piss Emerson Electric CEO David Farr off. Some things make him want to kick some goddamned ass. Unfortunately, when he curses up a blue streak like that, it offends the church groups that moonlight as industrials analysts.

In an unusually frank analyst note issued after the meeting, Scott Davis of Barclays Capital said Mr. Farr “is well-liked and proven, yet his questionable outbursts at analyst events and conference calls do not inspire confidence.”

In an interview, Jeffrey Sprague of Vertical Research Partners voiced similar reservations. “I always take such comments from David with a grain of salt, because he is very aggressive, passionate and competitive. I don’t think he means any harm, but I do think he at times goes too far, which needlessly raises investor questions and concerns,” Mr. Sprague said.

In the interests of full disclosure, we offer some of Mr. Farr’s extremely offensive statements, cleaned up for the highly proper readership of The Wall Street Journal.

“We are not a one-trick pony,” Mr. Farr snapped at the Feb. 11 meeting. “If I see that in writing, one more g— d— time, I’m going to tear them apart.”

Mr. Farr, 58 years old, who also is a director of International Business Machines Corp., added: “We do well in China, g— d— it, and I’m not embarrassed by it, but we’re not a g— d— one-trick pony.”

Then came an abortive attempt to make nice: “I apologize for swearing. You guys p— me off when you write that. You haven’t figured that out. And I’ve been training real hard the last couple of years to kick your a—.”

Emerson CEO’s Salty Talk Raises Eyebrows [WSJ]

1. Posted by mr. blonde | February 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag puke piece o' shit, or did you have to work on it? – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Emerson Electric Investor Relations

2. Posted by Also on the call | February 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Farr was also quoted as saying that "if I have to read another god damn Shazar post I'm gonna freaking lose it."

3. Posted by Ernest Hemingway | February 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sounds like my kind of man.

4. Posted by Never Lost Money! | February 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Skilling, (in response to an analyst's comments about Enron's inability to produce an earnings statement) and undoubtedly aware that his company's earnings were nonexistent, began to sputter: "You, you, you … Well, uh … thank you very much. We appreciate it ……………. asshole!"

5. Posted by David's Bridal | February 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Can I interest you in a slightly used dress?

6. Posted by im_new_here | February 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

You're served up this kind of golden raw material and those are the best tags you could come up with?

7. Posted by Guest | February 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Good post Jon! Same height bros for life g— d— it!

8. Posted by Libor | February 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Barclay's dude talks about inspiring confidence?

9. Posted by Burger King | February 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

All this talk about ponies is making me nervous

10. Posted by UHF Quant | February 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I always loved him on M*A*S*H,

11. Posted by 3G, Heinz | February 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You're not kidding.

12. Posted by PippyLongSausage | February 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Har har that is tooooo crazy!

Gee whiz, we are really looking forward to your next comment where you cover the time John Paulson handed it to thw Genworth CEO.

– Said No One, Ever

13. Posted by Just Saw It Myself | February 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

You should slide over to Fashionista today where you can read an article pertaining your dream of blowing Terry Richardson.

14. Posted by PippyLongSausage | February 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Cool, thanks for the heads up 'Never Lost Money!'. If I wanted to learn how to blow a fashion-conscious New Yorker I'll just text your wife and tell her to meet me at Minetta's.

15. Posted by Take That! | February 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I'm not impressed. The last time you used "blow a fashion conscious New Yorker" and "Minetta's" in a paragraph was when you were campaigning for the president of Shazar's fan club.

16. Posted by Guestido | February 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Baby Steps…

17. Posted by Shelly | September 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

This demonstration is indeed an amazing one. Whatever shared regarding beware the delicate ears of the Industrials Analyst seems to me an excellent input. I have great time reading this educative demonstration. Thanks.
    which is better uhf vs vhf