- 21 Mar 2013 at 3:34 PM
Standard Chartered Chairman Misspoke When He Called Iranian Money-Laundering Business A ‘Clerical Error’By Jon Shazar
Apparently, when you’ve accepted responsibility for laundering money for rogue states—and entered into a deferred-prosecution agreement—you can’t turn around and refer to said money-laundering as NBD. Duly noted.
Authorities claimed that Standard Chartered had illegally processed millions of dollars’ worth of transactions for Iranian and Sudanese clients, and the bank admitted to “falsifying records” and “making false statements.”
But in a conference call about the bank’s annual earnings report on March 5, Mr. Peace referred to the transactions as “clerical errors,” adding that “we had no willful act to avoid sanctions.”
In a brief statement on Thursday, he retracted his comments, and reiterated the bank’s responsibility for the criminal activity related to the illegal money transactions.
“My statement that Standard Chartered had no willful act to avoid sanctions was wrong,” Mr. Peace said. The comment “directly contradicts Standard Chartered’s acceptance of responsibility.”
- Standard Chartered Chairman Misspoke When He Called Iranian Money-Laundering Business A 'Clerical Error' March 21, 2013
- 07/28/14: The Greatest Day Of Bill Ackman's Life Thus Far July 28, 2014
- Argentina Showing All Of The Urgency Of A Country Not About To Needlessly Default For The Second Time In 13 Years July 28, 2014
- Steve Cohen Attends Party, Dresses Like A 'Schlub': Bloomberg July 28, 2014
- CFA Level I And II Results Are Out Tomorrow: Start Freaking Out Today July 28, 2014
- We Are Just Over Two Months Away From Finding Out What Brian Hunter Looks Like July 28, 2014
- Cynk Short-Sellers Screwed Again July 28, 2014
- Where Does Manipulating Libor, Screwing Over Customers Rate On The Ha, HAHA, Hehehe, LOL Scale? July 28, 2014
- Bear Stearns Exec Who Straddled World Of Wall Street And Magicianry Is No Longer July 25, 2014
- Hedge Fund Manager Thinks World’s Just About Over This Whole Apple Fad July 25, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com