Popularized in films like Limitless, legal smart drugs called Nootropics are becoming more and more prevalent in board rooms and on Wall Street.Keep reading »
- 21 Mar 2013 at 3:34 PM
Standard Chartered Chairman Misspoke When He Called Iranian Money-Laundering Business A ‘Clerical Error’By Jon Shazar
Apparently, when you’ve accepted responsibility for laundering money for rogue states—and entered into a deferred-prosecution agreement—you can’t turn around and refer to said money-laundering as NBD. Duly noted.
Authorities claimed that Standard Chartered had illegally processed millions of dollars’ worth of transactions for Iranian and Sudanese clients, and the bank admitted to “falsifying records” and “making false statements.”
But in a conference call about the bank’s annual earnings report on March 5, Mr. Peace referred to the transactions as “clerical errors,” adding that “we had no willful act to avoid sanctions.”
In a brief statement on Thursday, he retracted his comments, and reiterated the bank’s responsibility for the criminal activity related to the illegal money transactions.
“My statement that Standard Chartered had no willful act to avoid sanctions was wrong,” Mr. Peace said. The comment “directly contradicts Standard Chartered’s acceptance of responsibility.”
Keep reading »
It’s not just doctors and scientists that need STEM education. America’s shifting economy is demanding more trained workers in many different sectors. See how Travis Brooks got the hands-on education he needed to become a technician at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery. Visit The Atlantic to learn more.
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Arizona State Now Has Multiple Business Schools To Choose From
- 10 Reasons Wall Street Is Using Smart Drugs Crush Work
- Ruble’s Historic Freefall, Russian Economic Collapse Not Fazing Vladimir Putin
- Ex-Jefferies Exec Convicted Of Fraud Has Bone To Pick With The Guy Who Turned Him In
- JOBS Act Helps Hedge Fund Raise Money Through Widespread Advertising
- Bonus Watch '14: Investment Analyst Turned Fantasy Sports Team General Manager
- Dealbreaker Dramatic Reading Night Returns Wednesday
- If You Stand Perfectly Still, Dan Loeb Cannot See You: Sony Execs
- The Indomitable Dov Charney Strikes Again
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com