- 21 Mar 2013 at 3:34 PM
Standard Chartered Chairman Misspoke When He Called Iranian Money-Laundering Business A ‘Clerical Error’By Jon Shazar
Apparently, when you’ve accepted responsibility for laundering money for rogue states—and entered into a deferred-prosecution agreement—you can’t turn around and refer to said money-laundering as NBD. Duly noted.
Authorities claimed that Standard Chartered had illegally processed millions of dollars’ worth of transactions for Iranian and Sudanese clients, and the bank admitted to “falsifying records” and “making false statements.”
But in a conference call about the bank’s annual earnings report on March 5, Mr. Peace referred to the transactions as “clerical errors,” adding that “we had no willful act to avoid sanctions.”
In a brief statement on Thursday, he retracted his comments, and reiterated the bank’s responsibility for the criminal activity related to the illegal money transactions.
“My statement that Standard Chartered had no willful act to avoid sanctions was wrong,” Mr. Peace said. The comment “directly contradicts Standard Chartered’s acceptance of responsibility.”
- Standard Chartered Chairman Misspoke When He Called Iranian Money-Laundering Business A 'Clerical Error' March 21, 2013
- Mike Corbat's Sales Pitch To Would-Be Junior Bankers For Joining Citi: You Can't All Work At Hedge Funds October 1, 2014
- Heckling Carmelo Anthony Costs Financial Services Employee His Job, Clean Arrest Record, Sweet Corporate Seats: Lawsuit October 1, 2014
- Guy Who's Short Herbalife Says Guy Who's Long Herbalife Saying Guy Who's Short Herbalife Saying Herbalife Is A Fraud Is A Fraud Is A Fraud March 13, 2013
- Mark Zuckerberg Wants To Be A Feudal Lord Too, Damn It October 1, 2014
- John Paulson Doesn’t Want To Run A Mutual Fund, But… October 1, 2014
- SEC Charges Guy With Being Very Bad Roommate September 30, 2014
- Opening Bell: 10.01.14 October 1, 2014
- People Are Not Paying Enough Attention To Larry Summers October 1, 2014
- BofA Kinda Forgot That Structured Notes Mature September 30, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com