• 23 May 2013 at 2:13 PM

Anshu Jain’s Rosetta Stone Tapes Are PAYING OFF

“Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, liebe Aktionäre” [Ladies and gentlemen, dear shareholders]. “Herzlich willkommen zur Hauptversammlung der Deutschen Bank” [A warm welcome to Deutsche Bank's annual general meeting]. Deutsche Bank’s co-chief executive, Anshu Jain, Thursday awed shareholders by giving a two-page introductory speech at the bank’s annual shareholders meeting in…German. It was the moment some shareholders had been waiting for. At last year’s AGM, some German investors had voiced concern as to whether they would need to learn English in order to understand the newly elected co-chief executive of “their bank.” Mr Jain, an Indian-born with a British passport, took office almost a year ago after the shareholder’s meeting, along with co-chief executive Juergen Fitschen, a native German speaker. [WSJ]

1. Posted by Mexi_Cant | May 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

And so it begins.

-Nervous Jew

2. Posted by Basil Fawlty | May 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Just don't mention the war.

3. Posted by Fred Kartoffel | May 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Ich bin ein Berliner!

4. Posted by HoKarl | May 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

You should have heard the standing ovation from the shizer-loving German crowd when he then proceded to pull down his pants and take a massive Shazar right in middle of stage.

5. Posted by Guest | May 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Worst comment this month.

6. Posted by Ich Aaaack! | May 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Way to keep your eye on the ball there, "some German investors." And why the fuck don't you know English already?

- Guy who doesn't want the CEO focusing on learning a third language

7. Posted by quant me maybe... | May 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Listening to most Indians talk, I'm not convinced they can speak a single language.

8. Posted by guest | May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

where have you been?!

9. Posted by lucas | May 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I'm not convinced the WSJ writer can either: "Mr Jain, an Indian-born with a British passport…" What's an Indian-born?

10. Posted by Guest | May 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

But the know how to head bobble.

11. Posted by spiderbro | May 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I think they meant mudblood

12. Posted by quant me maybe... | May 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That head bobble kills me. It's so fucking distracting I just want to kill someone. Today I had to tell one of the contractors — 'You have fucking water in your ear? Shake it OUT! If not, buy a fucking clamp and fasten your head back onto your shoulders!'

13. Posted by GUEST | May 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Moron!

14. Posted by Asper | May 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Not as bad as a whiff of a body not washed since weekend.

15. Posted by Guest | May 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM

At least he did not start in the German version of " I wake up in the morning I hear the phone "green green" and I pink up the phone and I say yellow, my name is Djohny Vatson".

16. Posted by EGalE | May 24, 2013 at 6:09 AM