• 04 Jun 2013 at 1:58 PM

Bill Ackman Has A Dream

Financial Times: You have received a lot of good press, but there has also been some criticism of some of the investment stances you have taken and also your trading techniques, specifically the short selling. In a way, your philanthropy does not seem to fit with how you live your professional life. How would you respond to that assertion? Bill Ackman: I think we’ve accomplished more for society in our for-profit activities than in our not-for-profit activities. My work with the Pershing Square Foundation is a continuum of what I do in my professional life. When the Foundation sees a problem we always ask if there is a business solution. I think most of the criticisms you have heard relate to my position on Herbalife. If I manage to close down that company I will consider it the greatest achievement of my life. [FT]

1. Posted by Dr. No | June 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

He used to read Word Up magazine. Salt & Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine

2. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Bill,
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to close down a company. It's really not such a big deal.
    -Jon Corzine

3. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

"…but there has also been some criticism of some of the investment stances you have taken and also your trading techniques, specifically the short selling."

umm, how about schlocking your book in a manner worthy of a Kardashian?

4. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Icahn has this idiot's number.

5. Posted by Bandersnatch | June 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

To the last, I grapple with thee. From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

6. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Typical northeastern liberal. Weak constitution.

7. Posted by Proverbs 16:31 | June 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.

8. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I would think being a good husband and father and upstanding citizen would be somewhere on the "greatest achievement" list, but I don't know, maybe I'm old-fashioned that way.

9. Posted by Puck It | June 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Bill, I think if you avoid having JCP go tits up, that will be the greatest achievement of your career.

10. Posted by Guest | June 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yeah, just try and bring that bull malarkey down here son. You are begging for a Ft. Worth tune up.

11. Posted by Bandersnatch | June 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids.

12. Posted by guest | June 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

"If I manage to close down that company I will consider it the greatest achievement of my life"

Funny Bill, I was thinking the same thing about Pershing Square

-Carl Icahn

13. Posted by J. R. Oppenheimer | June 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

"Now I am become Ackman, Destroyer of Herbalife"

— Bhagavad Gita, ancient Hindu text

14. Posted by BeeEssDee | June 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

t-bone steaks cheese eggs and welch's grape

15. Posted by Ron Johnson | June 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM