• 07 Jun 2013 at 5:49 PM

How Much Is Adorable Worth To You? Is It 116bps A Year?

Among the best established facts in finance are that (1) the average fund manager underperforms his index, net of fees, and (2) the above-average fund manager is above average due to random fluctuations and will probably be below average next year. I mean, not your fund manager, obviously, but all the other ones will have a harder time selling their services as more people find those things out. And they’re not exactly secret. Nassim Taleb writes books about them. Whole books!

The financial industry as a whole is working on various ways to solve that problem, like selling hedge funds to retail investors, but if you’re a traditional long-only mutual fund manager that can be a hard racket to get into. So alternatives are sorely needed, and a pretty amazing one appeared on the front page of the Journal this morning. It’s, basically, re-brand as Ye Olde Artisanal Stock Pickery & Son:

Wally Weitz may be only the second-best-known investor in Omaha. But like Warren Buffett, he has long churned out gains by sticking to a basic formula: Buy strong companies whose shares are down and wait patiently for a rebound. …

Just 31% of Weitz Value’s investments turned over in the past year, versus a 78% average for actively managed stock funds. … When he really likes a company, he holds on. Mr. Weitz has held shares of Mr. Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. for three decades. … “Stock picking will always have value,” he says. “Whether people will pay us to be stock pickers—that’s a separate question.” …

“I’m not a thrill seeker,” Mr. Weitz says. “No heli-skiing for me.” Investing is both his work and his hobby. … In high school, he joined a stock-picking club and haunted a branch of Merrill Lynch & Co., reading its research reports. … After a stint at a brokerage house in Omaha, where his wife is from, Mr. Weitz launched his own firm in 1983 backed by a few local investors. …

Mr. Weitz’s son, Drew, recalls how his father would discuss world events at the family dinner table, informed partly by his studies of businesses he followed. The conversations inspired Drew, now 33, to join the family business, where he is a research analyst and portfolio manager.

I sort of bolded randomly there, but … I mean. This business is family run, multi-generational, community owned, and handmade by local artisans from local ingredients. It’s slow-food, minimally processed, humanely sourced. Probably seasonal, too. He really ought to move this thing to Brooklyn, or at least Portland.1 Maybe change the font on his web page though, no, actually, this is pretty good.

Like all locavore artisanal businesses, this one isn’t cheap:

Weitz Value charges investors 1.2% of their money, and another Weitz fund charges 1.85%. The cost at stock index funds and ETFs can go as low as 0.04%.

But the premium pricing is easier to take when there are little old-fashioned grace notes like this:

The stock [AMZN], though far off its tech-bubble high, rose to about 7¾ from 7½ on the day they [Weitz and Jeff Bezos] met, recalls Mr. Weitz, who still sometimes cites prices in fractions. He passed. Amazon now trades for nearly $268.

AHHH THE FRACTIONS CAN YOU EVEN? Invest with Weitz Value fund and they will soothingly quote your stocks to you in fractions. When the hectic pace of the modern world, with its stocks quoted in decimals, gets to be too much for you, the Weitz Funds is a haven of things quoted in eighths. Wally, call me, we can make this happen.

Oh also I guess he’s pretty good at picking stocks:

Over three years, his Weitz Value mutual fund has outperformed the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index by an average of about one percentage point a year and beat about 90% of similar stock funds.

Now, sure, certain pointy-headed finance academics will argue that, um, 10% of actively managed stock funds are in the top 10% over any period, and that being in the top 10% over one three-year period makes it more likely you’ll be in the bottom half in the next three-year period.2 (Weitz Value outperformed the S&P for the last five years, underperformed for the last 10.) But those people are just, like, looking at math. They’re automating the whole process. Don’t you want your stock picking done by a real person, with roots in the community and a name like, I’m gonna say, Wally?

Sure you do. Equity investing is a luxury good, after all. And quirky, personal, hand-crafted goods are the epitome of modern luxury. Even in mutual funds apparently.

An Old-School Stock Picker Struggles With Index Craze [WSJ]

1. From that picture I thought I saw some facial hair but I think it’s just the lighting. Oh well. Some tattoos wouldn’t hurt either.

2. To be clear: I made up that specific result for simplicity and rhetorical effect, I suspect it’s not quite true. But that paper I linked is sort of mesmerizing; it uses Morningstar ratings (based on “excess returns,” with top 10% five stars, next 22.5% four stars, next 35% three stars, next 22.5% two stars, bottom 10% one star). Here are transition matrices:

One month! The two year is basically 100% mean reverted:

1. Posted by Clear as Mud | June 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Vegan stock aside, this guy's own two year transition chart says that a 5-star fund has a 75% likelihood of being 3-5-star, and 22% of being 1-2 star next period. Same numbers for a 1-star fund? 61% 3-5 star and 33% 1-2 star.

I'm no French PhD, but that's a pretty big f-ing difference.

These dudes kill me. Look, we all want a fund that rings the bell every year. That's rare. What's achievable is a fund that does very well in some years, average in some years and has relatively few big draw-downs. If you can accomplish that then you can do well over a long period of time.

But, you know, common sense doesn't lend itself well to a markov chain.

2. Posted by meeami | June 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The close up of the vintage bull book-end was a nice touch by the article's photographer. He probably didn't have much to work with…

3. Posted by guest | June 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Index/passive funds have certainly outperformed active management in the past. It's the right investment style, and it's very popular– look at flows.

Every style has its day. Indexing works until everyone indexes.

4. Posted by Wells Fargo Must Die | June 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

It's a fluff piece on a mutual fund. No reason for them to be rude. Interesting that he thinks people should watch the History Channel. Does he like the Pawn Shop shows or Ice Road Truckers. Guess he's likes the reality TV.

5. Posted by robert | June 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If I remember right he has $1.1 billion under management–at 1.2% that's 13 million a year–let's say 8 million goes to expenses, that still a 5 million a year payday. No wonder he's smiling.

6. Posted by Super Trooper | June 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

"Mary exemplifies customer service in every way. Our client services department wouldn't be the same without her. In fact, Wally Weitz himself has said ***this company couldn't do what it does without her.***"

#ButActually
    #StarsAdded

7. Posted by cynic | June 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM

He beats the index by 1% on average. He charges 1.2%. Hmm..

8. Posted by james228 | June 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

wow…very informative, i never thought that it's much complicated than i thought it was. great to have read this article today.

9. Posted by gry novomatic | June 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest
    to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this site.

10. Posted by anonhfm | June 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Amazing that nobody calls Bogle on the fact that indexation is not a universalizable strategy, and that indexers are "information parasites."

11. Posted by lucky lady charm | June 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I feel that is among the such a lot vital information for
    me. And i’m happy studying your article. But want to statement on some general issues, The web site taste is perfect, the articles is in reality great : D. Excellent task, cheers

12. Posted by IT Project Manager | June 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I'd like to be a project manager in an IT farm, I've 3 years of experience in software developing.

13. Posted by scrap car durham | June 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Sounds a pretty tricky job. It's pretty clear why Nassim Taleb is writing books on it.

14. Posted by Beginner Golf Swing | July 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Not a big fan of fraction stock quoting. But that's what you get when investing is both your hobby and job….

15. Posted by best children books | July 2, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Figures and numbers makes me dizzy! LOL I want to think in the same manner with these people. Reading this kind of article really fascinates me.

16. Posted by electronic cigarette | July 3, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Yes this used to be my profession until i got sick of money (yes really). Now I follow my passion and work in the electronic cigarette industry. We sell the best electronic cigarette UK and I'm pretty happy about that.

17. Posted by soft skill training | July 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Thanks for providing such important information.

18. Posted by fireplace flat panel | July 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Moveable stands of wall mount gives you headache relief.

19. Posted by العاب بنات | July 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Girls Gamess

20. Posted by fireplace plasma | July 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Actually Dynamic mounting is a Platform of home services, which offer solution of wall mount.

21. Posted by fireplace wall mount | July 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Dynamic mounting is a flat wall mount homemade service platform which offers you to get a new look to your mounted LCD and plasma TV.

22. Posted by over fireplace mount | July 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

To mount a TV on wall is a good idea to save place as well as for good looking.

23. Posted by fireplace lcd | July 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

You can take service for your home lcd….

24. Posted by Jarrod | July 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Nice I'm really digging this stuff!

25. Posted by fireplace tv | July 27, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Dynamic mounting experts deal with a latest tools and wall mount brackets to mount LCD.

26. Posted by bakpia jogja | August 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

nice article guy
    bakpia jogja

27. Posted by Patrick Hospes | August 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM

It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable people about this subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!

28. Posted by Nashville Locksmith | August 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

It's amazing to me how many people think they can outsmart the market over the long term, despite all the evidence otherwise.

29. Posted by CVW | August 14, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Typically I don’t compose comments, but this time I’ll go to the concession. Outstanding writing style, remarkable attitude, etraordinary inspiration. Unfortunately, additionally, absolutely unsociable for an eye receptors graphics. Maybe you could adapt it? I would be delighted.

30. Posted by alat bantu sex | October 16, 2013 at 1:03 AM

thaks for all

31. Posted by Gamis Oka Oke | December 9, 2013 at 6:03 AM

I'm currently building a business that can be run and passed down to my family.

Can anyone help me how great strategy, especially in terms of investment for the future?

Regards,
    Gamis Oka Oke

32. Posted by omaha_ne_realtor | December 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Get a Free Home Evaluation of your Omaha Real Estate. Search all Homes For Sale Omaha NE and Omaha homes for sale . Get advice from trusted Omaha Realtors.

Thanks and bast Regards
    omaha_ne_realtor

33. Posted by omaha_ne_realtor | December 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing a little bit of your world!

34. Posted by Feed Rss | January 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

35. Posted by Gadget Review Videos | January 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I like to read your post

36. Posted by Jack Russell cough | March 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

"I mean, not your fund manager, obviously, but all the other ones will have a harder time selling their services as more people find those things out." Ha! Clever.