The odds, sadly, are no. But hopefully he or one of his associates reads about one young woman’s dilemma and decides to reference it in the next quarter’s letter to investors as evidence that this thing must be shut down. Meanwhile, if anyone has any advice for someone looking for a way to gently let her best friend/best friend’s fiancé know that they can stop making the hard sell for her to join the sales team, speak up. Even if her GI issues didn’t prevent her from avoiding the shake ‘n supplement company, her desire not be affiliated with what she’s pretty sure is the Bernard L. Madoff Securities LLC of the weight-loss industry just might.

…Both [my best friend] and her new fiancée are active members of an international Multi-level Marketing company that focuses on health and wellness. Fiancée is a notable and well-known success, due in large part to his family’s early involvement with the company. Best Friend has “recruited” her entire family into the business. They frequently attend company events, and most of their other friends are members. As for me, I cannot in good conscience participate in the business, and it is starting to cause a rift between us…the core product of Best Friend’s MLM company is a “weight loss plan.” The “plan” is basically just their low-cal meal replacement shakes (soy protein heavy) subbed for 2 out of 3 meals a day, then a combination of “supplements” full of caffeine and all the other vitamins you miss out on when you don’t eat actual food. This is, in my opinion, nutritionally unsound and a starvation diet. A number of the other “energy” supplements rely on artificial sweeteners and non-FDA approved diet herbs. Even putting aside my belief that whole foods are the best sources of nutrition, I think that it is questionable to promote these products as quality sources of nutrition. I also don’t agree with certain marketing and sales practices. Basically, they exploit people’s body insecurity for money. Fiancée actually has a button that reads “Lose Weight Now-Ask Me How.” He wears it EVERYWHERE. I am not that close to him, so I haven’t said anything… but I’d really like to point out how gross that is without him going on the defensive. In addition, the company frequently makes lofty promises of financial independence to lure in new members. They throw events and parties that showcase the best and brightest in the company… but minimize the massive amount of people involved in their success. It is a classic MLM—as in, the people at the top are making money due to the quantity of people at the bottom. In reality, very few actually make a living off of the sales of the products, let alone get rich. The prices of the supplements are also very inflated for the average consumer, and are only “discounted” if you sign up to be a sales representative (this of course, includes kickbacks and additional discounts for the person who “brought you in”)…

My question is, how can I effectively communicate that I do not want to join the company, without alienating or offending my friend and her family?

Ask Polly: My Best Friend Keeps Recruiting Me To Join Her Multi-Level Marketing Scheme! [The Awl]

1. Posted by santelli spitstorm | August 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

if you need a special pin to encourage people to ask for your advice, your suit is too cheap.

2. Posted by heavy sarcasm guest | August 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

This couple sounds awesome.

3. Posted by Ironman Ninetytwo | August 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Where's the fun in not alienating or offending?

4. Posted by TT. | August 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Maybe she could start wearing this button when she's with her two friends? http://www.zazzle.com/explosive_diarrhea_pin-1454

5. Posted by Frank the tank | August 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

[youtube ZIcnBccjgMw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIcnBccjgMw youtube]

6. Posted by KennyPowersCFA | August 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Also a screed against MLM on Kissing Suzy Kolber. I think SOMEONE may be taking advantage of the new hedge fund advertising rules in a creative fashion.

7. Posted by Guest | August 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I think it is Icahn just screwing with Ackman.

8. Posted by Brick Tamland | August 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I'd like to extend an invitation to you for the pyramid party.

9. Posted by Chiarb | August 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

She obviously is not a serious business builder.

John Peterson

10. Posted by Rene | August 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

If you want a positive change in your LIFE…You need to do things that are uncomfortable!

11. Posted by Rene | August 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This lady has a personality trait like Ackman. She is full of intelligent comments and observations, but very foolish in her conclusion.
    She needs to know what are the products good for and see if she needs them. If she does give a try, what have you got to lose?

12. Posted by Isaac Comer-Wyrd | August 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, sometimes, yeah.

Uncomfortable like: acknowledging terribly uncomfortable truths.

Here's an example: there's virtually no at-home business opportunity that is not in some sense a scam.

Furry cows moo and decompress.

13. Posted by neurologist in dubai | October 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Good nutrition is essential for your overall health. If you want to have a long life and stay healthy, then you need to eat the right foods. A balanced diet will increase your body's ability to recover, boost your energy and strength, and help you stay in shape.

14. Posted by Marty | November 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Herbalife seems to me an amazing supplement to consume. I enjoyed learning benefits over women body of such product. I think this whole review post is educative regarding that supplement.

15. Posted by Best Weight Loss | November 18, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Nowadays, with the increasing number of individuals seeking the most effective products that could advertise fat loss, a lot of products under the classification of weight reduction supplements in Australia are being introduced available.

16. Posted by tasneem | November 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

17. Posted by tasneem | November 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I was actually going through the nice helpful tips from the blog, I must say you have done a very good job.I like you page. I’m glad Yahoo pointed me to it. I was able to get the know-how I was searching so badly for days now.Thank You very much for your really good web page. Have a good day.

18. Posted by Cremate Fat Burner | December 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

The key is to reduce the number of calories you consume while sticking to a steady exercise routine. This will preserve your muscle while losing weight, which equals fat loss. The hard part is finding the right diet. I struggled a lot with this diet. I was constantly getting zero results with several fad diets. This all changed once I found Eat Stop Eat, this diet has changed my life.

19. Posted by application letters | December 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Simply, Happy to know your writing that you've share is here in your post. Your entire all of writing concept is very handful to me and it's helps me a lot to get an perfect job. Hopefully, in future you'll gives me more useful info like this.

20. Posted by Emma | December 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

This article has our vote and thanks in advanced for excepting my comment.

21. Posted by Helladrol | January 2, 2014 at 1:17 AM

definately

22. Posted by David Leo | January 19, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Handling weight loss is among the hardest activities for this involves self-discipline, constraint as well as work. Unhealthy weight is now one of several primary reasons for demise as well as poor existing on the planet. Weight just isn't the primary problem however the excessive fats in your body that causes illnesses including heart attacks, diabetes as well as strokes.Read more at: https://www.rebelmouse.com/phen375facts/

23. Posted by semo2 | January 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Great article for weight loss! thanks a lot I appreciate it :)

Fast Weight Loss Method

24. Posted by لعبة تلبيس | January 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

She obviously is not a serious business builder.

25. Posted by Steven White | January 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

The reason extract of Garcinia Cambogia has proven so effective from a slimming perspective is due to the fact that it not only functions as a fat blocker by preventing the formation of fat cells, but also as an appetite suppressant, making you feel full for longer. By reinforcing each other, both sides of this dual action form a potent fat burning combination.

26. Posted by Lucile Lee | February 24, 2014 at 5:33 AM

The product has undergone clinical studies that aim to access it beneficial effects as well as to identify the human tolerance for the Yacon syrup. Results of the studies show that the daily consumption of the product has a significant effect in decreasing the body weight, body max index and wais circumference. Clinical trials of the product have also shown that the Yacon Diet Syrup can help reduce the users’ extra body weight, lessen their bad cholesterol levels as well as maintain their insulin levels at the same time.
    You can read the detailed reviews about yacon syrup here.

27. Posted by Mike | March 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Your provided guide lines is very useful to me and form some days I am looking for such kind of some info about the recently upgraded to Microsoft Outlook.http://www.essaypanda.org/blog/cause-and-effect-t… Your writing concept is able to gives me a vital look. That is very handy for me.

28. Posted by hguhf العاب | March 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

She obviously is not a serious business builder :)

29. Posted by Energy Supplements | March 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Wow! Motivation..I am really trying to get it..I just don't know where to get it from. I have tried so many times, was good for a few and then fell off the wagon but your video is inspiring, you showed that its not a quick fix its a journey and you just have to stick to it.~ Tina West

30. Posted by Juleye | March 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Essay writing is not a guileless task as some put it. It always gives some people, time perdition. There are numerous solutions that have been put across by the <a href="http://www.vipessayservice.com” target=”_blank”>www.vipessayservice.com

31. Posted by Weight Loss Pills | March 26, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Hello, I love your blog. My weight loss of 120 lbs has been such a wonderful inspiration to my community! I am here for anyone who needs to lose weight, feel better, or look better. Herbalife doesn't just offer diet products they have products for children like multivitamins. They have a wonderful skin care line as well! They have products for the athletes it's called herbalife 24. Wonderful as well! ~ Barbara Williams

32. Posted by hguhf fvr | July 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Great article for weight loss! thanks a lot I appreciate it :)