at the stroke of midnight at not one second later

Labor Day, that fading-summer Monday, has always been central to the biorhythms of parents in the New York area. It means vacations are done and the start of classes, mercifully, is just a day or two away. Except this year, when the calendar revealed a remarkably early arrival of Rosh Hashana, beginning Wednesday night, prompting school districts in New York City and many suburbs to postpone opening day until Monday, Sept. 9, a full week after Labor Day. Jim Slattery, a lawyer making his way to work on Tuesday morning, was well aware of how the scheduling this year was disrupting his wife’s end-of-summer time at home in Westchester County, with their two daughters, ages 9 and 12, having nowhere to go. “She’s not happy,” Mr. Slattery said. “The girls are tearing up the house.” He made it clear, however, that it was her predicament to manage. “This is not my problem,” he said. [NYT]

21 comments

21 Responses to “Last Time Area Dad Checked, Post-Labor Day Child-Rearing Fell Under ‘Not My F*cking Problem’”

1. HotKarl says:

Story postscript:

Jim Slattery isn't getting a BJ anytime soon

2. Ron Burgundy says:

No eye contact!

3. Chiarb says:

That quote is going on the fridge.

4. Guest says:

Does one wish one's Jewish friends "Happy Rosh Hashana"? Or "Have a good Rosh Hashana"? Or is it best not to bring it up at all?

– Confused Gentile

5. investorcluzo says:

I got 99 problems…
    – J. Slattery

6. ILoveLamp says:

Mr. Slattery continued, saying, "I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. My wife is just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of mine. It's science."

7. Guest says:

I like Jewish holidays.

–Gentile surfing the web at the office all day

8. Darien says:

This is what country clubs are for. Although, our kids did start school on Tuesday, what am I talking about..

9. merkin_capital says:

He likes to fuck and now he's got fucking problems.

10. essay writer says:

It was certainly interesting for me to read article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to Read more on that blog soon.Thanks

11. The article clearly provides a beautiful notes on variety species of plants and trees that have been found in the forest like area and in the surface like this. This brings out the true picture of a human being in the writer of such articles.
    +123

12. lldsa says:

Dr. Driscoll: Casper Neck Pain

13. yanmacmackup says:

The long term damage will be not just to the environment, but to claims by the oil industry that it can safely operate in environmentally sensitive areas. coast cheap lancome makeup during its http://www.outlet-cosmetics.com first term in office, but no oil companies showed any real interest. But even before the Deepwater Horizon joined the Exxon Valdez and the Torrey Canyon in the offshore hall of shame, a battle was brewing over a pipeline proposal that would turn Kitimat into a port for supertankers.Ask that our legislators please remember that and do what's right. Read more here. Education ReportLast post Mar 6, 2014News Blog SectionsArchivesLast post Nov 20, 2013BuzzLast post Nov 26, 2013Crime and JusticeLast post Mar 13, 2014EducationLast post Mar 6, 2014The Data TrailLast post Jan 29, 2014The Drawing BoardLast post Aug 18, 2011VideosLast post Feb 11, 2014STAFF Blog SectionsBusinessLast post Mar 13,

Our Sites