Labor Day, that fading-summer Monday, has always been central to the biorhythms of parents in the New York area. It means vacations are done and the start of classes, mercifully, is just a day or two away. Except this year, when the calendar revealed a remarkably early arrival of Rosh Hashana, beginning Wednesday night, prompting school districts in New York City and many suburbs to postpone opening day until Monday, Sept. 9, a full week after Labor Day. Jim Slattery, a lawyer making his way to work on Tuesday morning, was well aware of how the scheduling this year was disrupting his wife’s end-of-summer time at home in Westchester County, with their two daughters, ages 9 and 12, having nowhere to go. “She’s not happy,” Mr. Slattery said. “The girls are tearing up the house.” He made it clear, however, that it was her predicament to manage. “This is not my problem,” he said. [NYT]

1. Posted by HotKarl | September 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Story postscript:

Jim Slattery isn't getting a BJ anytime soon

2. Posted by Hugh G Rection | September 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I think it's been a long time since Mr. Slattery had the pleasure of a BJ from his wife……………

3. Posted by Ron Burgundy | September 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

No eye contact!

4. Posted by Chiarb | September 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM

That quote is going on the fridge.

5. Posted by Guest | September 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Does one wish one's Jewish friends "Happy Rosh Hashana"? Or "Have a good Rosh Hashana"? Or is it best not to bring it up at all?

- Confused Gentile

6. Posted by investorcluzo | September 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I got 99 problems…
    - J. Slattery

7. Posted by guest | September 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Both work, as does "Happy New Year."

-helpful jewish guest

8. Posted by Nervous Jew | September 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I get very nervous whenever gentiles talk to me.

9. Posted by ILoveLamp | September 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Mr. Slattery continued, saying, "I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. My wife is just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of mine. It's science."

10. Posted by guest | September 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Needs more ellipses.

11. Posted by Guest | September 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I like Jewish holidays.

–Gentile surfing the web at the office all day

12. Posted by Abe_Froman_ | September 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Probably 100 now

13. Posted by Guest | September 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

How about "Killed Jesus lately?" Or is that considered rude?

14. Posted by Darien | September 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

This is what country clubs are for. Although, our kids did start school on Tuesday, what am I talking about..

15. Posted by A Jerk | September 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I prefer when they try and I get the, "Shoshanna…teva! Did I get that right?!?"

16. Posted by Charles Barkley | September 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Just don't wish anyone a happy Yom Kippur.

17. Posted by merkin_capital | September 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

He likes to fuck and now he's got fucking problems.

18. Posted by essay writer | November 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM

It was certainly interesting for me to read article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to Read more on that blog soon.Thanks

19. Posted by seo writing service | November 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM

The article clearly provides a beautiful notes on variety species of plants and trees that have been found in the forest like area and in the surface like this. This brings out the true picture of a human being in the writer of such articles.
    +123

20. Posted by lldsa | November 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Dr. Driscoll: Casper Neck Pain

21. Posted by yanmacmackup | May 22, 2014 at 5:53 AM

The long term damage will be not just to the environment, but to claims by the oil industry that it can safely operate in environmentally sensitive areas. coast cheap lancome makeup during its http://www.outlet-cosmetics.com first term in office, but no oil companies showed any real interest. But even before the Deepwater Horizon joined the Exxon Valdez and the Torrey Canyon in the offshore hall of shame, a battle was brewing over a pipeline proposal that would turn Kitimat into a port for supertankers.Ask that our legislators please remember that and do what's right. Read more here. Education ReportLast post Mar 6, 2014News Blog SectionsArchivesLast post Nov 20, 2013BuzzLast post Nov 26, 2013Crime and JusticeLast post Mar 13, 2014EducationLast post Mar 6, 2014The Data TrailLast post Jan 29, 2014The Drawing BoardLast post Aug 18, 2011VideosLast post Feb 11, 2014STAFF Blog SectionsBusinessLast post Mar 13,