As many of you know, employment at one of Wall Street’s investment banks– and, increasingly, law firms and hedge funds– comes not only with an enviable salary but the corporate world’s version of a free gift with purchase*: a canvas duffle bag. Typically, these bags are navy and green, with one’s respective firm’s name on the ribbon. They can often be seen riding the subway, walking down Park Avenue, and so on a so forth. For most people, the bag represents a place to put gym clothes. For a select few, the bag represents the feeling they’ve arrived. For former Goldman Sachs employee Jihan Bowes-Little, the bag represented an existential crisis. And the beginning of his trading by day/rapping by night life.

The inspiration for his second career came seven years ago, when the American became transfixed watching Saul Williams, the spoken word poet. “It was just, like, absolutely mind-blowing,” recalls Mr Bowes-Little, sitting in a private members’ club in Notting Hill, home to bankers and the carnival. “One person on stage captivating a room full of people, no music, no distractions.” Walking back to his flat with his friend, the pair, who had never performed in public before, challenged themselves to try their hand at it. Which is how, a week later, Mr Bowes-Little, who was then 26, found himself dry-mouthed and anxious preparing to deliver “Goldman Rucksack” on stage at an Open Mic night. The lines were public musings on his personal dilemma: “I wanted underground soul, with overseas dough, they said you maybe have one but you can’t have both.” The rhyme was about the company bag that is issued to junior employees starting at investment banks. To Mr Bowes-Little, who is thoughtful to the point of being over-analytical, a rucksack is more than just something you use to carry stuff in. “When you walk around Wall Street, there are just hundreds of kids all walking around branded by their respective banks.”

Mr Bowes-Little, who is mixed-race and the first in his family to attend university, says that despite joining Goldman Sachs, he still had a great deal of prejudice about the elitist world of banking and a strong “sense that I didn’t want to let being in finance change who I was”. So he refused to sport the company logo, preferring instead to carry his old beaten-up bag. “After a while I thought, ‘This is a bit contrived. I need a new bag’. So I put it on. But I was walking out of my flat, and I thought should I wear it this way, with the insignia out. Or should I wear it the other way. In or out? Is it ego? Or is going the other way equally egoistic.” He wore it inside-out, left the gym wearing his tracksuit and headphones and got on the train. His fellow passengers backed away from him. “I was feeling quite judged. I knew all I had to do was turn my bag around to change everybody’s definition of me.”

And while juggling his life as a credit derivatives trader/rapper initially proved too difficult, JB-L ultimately found a way for his identity as a financier and his identity as an artist to live in perfect harmony.

After the 2008 credit crunch, he quit. “The atmosphere at work was tiring. The music was happening.”
He flew to Los Angeles to focus on music, cushioned by his savings. But after a year, and despite some critical success, his hip-hop career failed to take off – so he returned to London to work for a hedge fund. He refuses to disclose the fund’s name but it is easy to find by searching Google. Since his re-entry into the world of finance, he has not been tempted to leave. “I was really trapped before. I don’t feel trapped any more.” Nonetheless, he still spends time in the studio and is preparing to launch his single, “All In”, a track that was used by Coca-Cola for its advertising campaign in Mexico. Instead of dreaming of escaping banking, he insists, this dual life is better. Now he finds parallels between the two worlds. “Both banking and hip hop are very competitive, both are incredibly exciting and at the very, very, very top, remunerative.”

Today he mixes his two worlds, instead of keeping them secret and separate. “The kinds of finance people who like to come to the hip-hop shows I never would have expected. People are more multifaceted than I think we give them credit for. It’s not obvious to me that bankers are less creative than musicians.”

On a related note, it goes without saying but we’ll say it anyway that employees of a certain hedge fund are going to have a lot of explaining to do when someone finds out that Goldman’s pedestrian little gym bag has inspired a work of art while not one lyric has been put to paper re: his beloved fleece jackets.

Goldman Sachs’ Secret Rapper [FT]
No 516: Metis [Guardian]
VERY MUCH RELATED: Dealbreaker Banker Bag

*“Hey, here’s a contract for a high six figure salary. Also, please enjoy this finely-crafted bag.

54 comments (hidden for your protection)

1. Posted by yoda | October 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

The douche is strong in this one

2. Posted by Save their souls | October 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

A tiny penis can really fuck with your motives in life

3. Posted by Austin | October 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby.

4. Posted by Tseug | October 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I'll bet he's got a bad-ass rap name.

5. Posted by Hobbes | October 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I doubt he was a derivatives trader if he can devote that much thought to a fucking gym bag.

6. Posted by St. Copious | October 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Employment at a law firm "increasingly comes with an enviable salary"? Maybe fact check that one with the ATL folks.

7. Posted by guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

obviously that was more so for the ibanking and hf gigs.

8. Posted by guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

from the article:

"The dual career saw him swapping suits at the end of his office day for baggy jeans and trainers, scribbling lyrics while trading credit derivatives at Goldman Sachs, and taking calls from Tokyo after rapping at steamy gigs. After that first night’s performance, he refused to speak about his banking job to his fellow performers. He tried to keep the double life a secret from both the banking and the hip-hop fraternity – at one point even hiring a public relations consultant to keep his name out of the press."

9. Posted by Guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Tip for FT journalists: if the person you're interviewing says they don't want disclose where they work but also list where they work on their publicly viewable linkedin profile, then it's ok to spill the beans.

10. Posted by If it works | October 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

ie: he bought some slam a drink at a bar to google his name on her iphone.

11. Posted by Help Him | October 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

"He has written an autobiography, The Trade, which has been picked up by a literary agent and with which he has tried to interest Hollywood directors with a view to turning it into a film"

12. Posted by Guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

" He wore it inside-out, left the gym wearing his tracksuit and headphones and got on the train. His fellow passengers backed away from him."

That moment of shock for Londoners, when they realize that a track suit actually has a function other than inadvertently revealing one's position in the class structure.

13. Posted by Detroit | October 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
    There's vomit on his fleece vest already, Seamless spaghetti…

14. Posted by Cos cob killer | October 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

so ….so ….much douche……

15. Posted by Read Between Lines | October 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

So he was Matt's London based analyst?

16. Posted by guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

go on.

17. Posted by UBS IB MD | October 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Again, fact checking would be helpful here.

18. Posted by DisposerOfThings | October 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Would also accept "vomit on his black north face"

19. Posted by IRS | October 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I heard they're taxing overseas dough at up to 75% these days

20. Posted by guest | October 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Is anything more tired and annoying than a finance guy – with the exact same ambitions and greed as everyone else in the industry – pretending to be conflicted about it? You are fooling no one.

21. Posted by Shaz's beard | October 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM

"After the 2008 credit crunch, he quit." = was bottom 10% and fired

"But after a year, and despite some critical success, his hip-hop career failed to take off – so he returned to London to work for a hedge fund." = blew all meager analyst/associate bonus $$$ on coke and hookers

22. Posted by Illmatic | October 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Somehow the rap game reminds me of the credit game.

23. Posted by LEH/BSC/Citi/ML/ | October 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Yes, clearly only the bottom 10% were fired after '08.

24. Posted by MC Bloodpudding | October 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

His name actually is BadAss.

25. Posted by wha | October 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I didn't realize Pitbull was a trader

26. Posted by Velcro | October 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I wouldn't be so sure, since he's quoted as saying "It’s not obvious to me that bankers are less creative than musicians."

27. Posted by Pitbull PE | October 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Dubmass, he's at a PE firm: http://www.franchisetimes.com/February-2013/Pitbu

28. Posted by guest | October 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Sadly, he's right.

-Shareholders everywhere

29. Posted by French Cries | October 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

LEH/BSC/Citi/ML/ your order of french cries is ready at the counter.

30. Posted by OpportunityCost | October 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Maybe if he were in ops.

31. Posted by Patel | October 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I petted their dogs or cats even though I was allergic to most animals

32. Posted by Former Goldman | October 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

So what, unlike SOME people he had the courage to put it all out there, to give it all he had. What have any of YOU done?

33. Posted by DisposerOfThings | October 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It was meant as a joke about this: http://dealbreaker.com/2011/09/p-s-youre-not-allo

I'll show myself out now

34. Posted by High Achiever | October 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Not made an ass of myself in the FT

35. Posted by Guy from Deleware | October 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM

"I was feeling quite judged. I knew all I had to do was turn my bag around to change everybody’s definition of me."

Telling insight. That kind of perspicacious social commentary is usually the province of Shazar. I am glad there are others who can one day carry that torch which sheds light into those places otherwise inscrutable to us regular, non-rappers.

36. Posted by Old Dead Jokes | October 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Where it was lovingly prepared by a former AIG FP risk manager.

37. Posted by Guest | October 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

not even. for comparison: http://www.askmen.com/money/career/opening-a-busi

-Guy who hypothesizes that the douche factor of a goldmanite shows its true colors when judged against the douche factors of other goldmanites

38. Posted by Anyone | October 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

where is geezer?

39. Posted by CAPS? | October 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Mrs. Bowes-Little, is that YOU?

40. Posted by Guest | October 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM

tl;dr

41. Posted by Guest | October 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Figured out I was a pretentious asshole before I got out of college

42. Posted by MFIN Grad | October 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM

This dude, he need to stay in the shade…

Ain't no wonder why he came out, he already in da gay parade

43. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 7:08 AM

So how douchey do these two look compared to http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/20/business/why-i-…?

44. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM

8 Mile >>>>>> 5th Ave

45. Posted by Greg S. | October 25, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I did

46. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I put it all out there and in her.

-Peter N. Former GS IR Intern Trader

47. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Working on his rhyming

48. Posted by Matt Levine | October 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Imagine a tiny fucking brain

49. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Used to sport Bonobos and Warby Parkers with black frames

50. Posted by Why U talking to | October 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

He's the Godfather of Douche

51. Posted by guest | October 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Affirmative action + recruited athlete = got him into an Ivy and LSE

Equal opportunity = got him a job in finance, twice

= he's an *ungrateful* douche

52. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Showing off the large-faced watch is a total black guy/guido move.

53. Posted by Fact Checking Guest | October 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Got up to VP level BTW before quitting/getting fired…

54. Posted by Guest | October 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

i didn't realize Pitbull was a "musician"…