Bernard Madoff’s former computer programmers asked for payment in diamonds to continue aiding the con man’s $17 billion Ponzi scheme in 2006 after they became uncomfortable with their role, a jury was told. The “crazy” request from Jerome O’Hara and George Perez was turned down and the men were given salary increases and bonuses, Frank DiPascali, Madoff’s former finance chief, testified today in Manhattan federal court in the trial of the men and three other ex-colleagues. “Where the hell am I gonna get a bag of diamonds?” said DiPascali, who pleaded guilty in the case and is testifying in a bid for a lighter sentence. The programmers, who said they were “in a bit of a pickle,” agreed on a “fairly substantial percentage increase” to their salaries, he said. [Bloomberg]

1. Posted by Bored Guest | December 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

“Where the hell am I gonna get a bag of diamonds?” said DiPascali.

Their office was a few blocks from the diamond district, and he had no idea where to get a bag of diamonds?

2. Posted by VonSloneker | December 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  3. Posted by Momixou | December 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Hey Bernie! Where did you find the hat? It's slightly ostentatious. I have fifty kilos of diamonds at killer prices. Are you interested? You invest in my scheme with diamonds only, and I add ten carats per annum for every carat invested.

4. Posted by Guest | December 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM

For a toothpaste tube full of diamonds, perhaps. For advice on how to properly compensate employees, not so much. But ask anybody who's there, and they'll tell you if they don't get paid THIS year, they are GONE!

5. Posted by Turkish | December 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

What do I know about diamonds? I'm a ponzi promoter. I was a happy ponzi promoter until a week ago, and then: What do I know about diamonds? Don't they come from Antwerp?

6. Posted by Funda | December 14, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Great article. That's a very good advice for those who have been also struggling and making ways in how to pay and limit thier debts. I agree with you when it comes to paying down debts. Learning how to quickly pay off personal loans, business loans, and any other kinds of loan can help you save money and reduce stress caused by your debts.