As of Monday morning, SAC trader Michael Steinberg was innocent against charges of insider trading in the eyes of a juror named Demethress Gordon. But on Monday evening, Gordon “attended a screenwriting class that happened to focus on the subtext of characters’ actions.” And then this happened:

In deliberations the following day, with that backdrop in her mind, she says she listened to an analogy offered by another juror, who told her to imagine walking through the door. “He told me to go through the door,” she said. “I understood what he meant, without him having to say, ‘Walk to the door. Turn the knob. Step through it.’ ” It suddenly clicked. People can understand more than they are told, she said. Mr. Steinberg must have known the information he received was based on nonpublic information, she said, even if it wasn’t explicitly made clear. She explained her reasoning to the last dissenting juror, who then agreed, she said, prompting a “guilty” vote, which was announced shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Turnabout by Juror Was Crucial in Steinberg’s SAC Case [WSJ]

1. Posted by Blinding Insight | December 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I get it!! It's a picture of him walking through a door!

2. Posted by Guest | December 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

she needed THAT analogy to realize that people don't have to be explicitly told everything to understand something?

– guy who is starting to realize juries are not in fact comprised of his "peers"

3. Posted by segoviacobain | December 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I was expecting one of Bess's scripts, so since that's not there, let me crack my knucles and whip out my Irwin Blacker / Aristotle:

INT- Close Shot – DAY

We PAN around the offices of Dealbreaker.com. SHAZAR is seated in front of a bank of monitors, watching Duck Sauce videos. In comes BESS, radiating a Holly Golightly JeNeSaisQuoi

BESS
    I want to do a story on 'boob glue'…who's doing the private placement on that?

SHAZAR
    They won't get it.

BESS
    Sure they will, there might even be a 'paint shaker' comment.

SHAZAR
    Its your funeral.

BESS goes to a desk, fires up an Apple Mac, and inserts a thumb drive.

CLOSE SHOT BESS' screen. The screensaver is a GIF of William Ackman playing with his hair.

SHAZAR
    I want to do another story about Cohen's weenie truck.

BESS
    Its your funeral

(Studio Laughter)

FADE OUT

4. Posted by guest | December 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

don't quit your day job.

5. Posted by Guest | December 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM

So not only Shia but also the guy from Dawson's Creek think they are BSDs?

6. Posted by Painter & Decorator | April 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM