Continue this week’s series of first-person accounts by people who worked for or were screwed by Jordan Belfort and Danny Porush, whose story the upcoming Wolf of Wall Street is based on, today we hear from Porush’s ex-wife, Nancy.

We moved into a two-bedroom apartment in the Bay Club in Bayside, Queens. It was a young, friendly, social building — like an extended dorm for young people starting their lives. But the commute to the city each day was hard because I became pregnant right away. There was a nice boy from our building on the same bus who always gave up his seat for me. His name was Jordan Belfort, and he worked in finance. I always liked Jordan. I’d see him at the gym in the building, and he was so friendly. I’d see how in love he was with his wife, Denise. I pushed Danny to talk to Jordan. By now, he was struggling with his latest venture, a private ambulette business, and I thought Jordan, who looked like a successful young man working in the city, could help him. After just one conversation, Danny came back and announced he was taking the Series 7 exam to get his stockbroker’s license. He studied in the library for two weeks and passed the test. Jordan helped him get a job at the company where he worked…We bought a five-bedroom house in Oyster Bay Cove on Long Island’s North Shore on two acres of land, with a pool and tennis court. Danny sunk hundreds of thousands into it, blowing it out. Our second son’s bris in 1990 was as glamorous as a wedding. We had over 100 guests dressed to the nines — mostly Stratton guys and always talking business…

The first time things really spiraled out of control was Labor Day weekend of 1997, the day after we’d moved to Danny’s new operating base in Boca Raton, Fla., where he’d been working for a year. There was a relentless rain, and I was in the kitchen busy preparing the kids for their first day of school. The phone rang, and it was Danny calling from his office. “You have to get here right away,” Danny said, adding that he’d been busted by the FBI. “They’re taking me to jail.” “What do you mean, the FBI?” I answered. “That’s something you see on TV!” My life is PTA, not FBI. Visiting him in prison in Palm Beach was like a bad dream. In his prison clothes, he was doing what he does best: selling me. He was totally calm and kept trying to reassure me that it’s going to be OK, that he’s going to get out of it. Jordan, arrested the day before, got out on $10 million bail, but Danny, Mr. Private Plane, was considered a flight risk and denied bail. He was shuttled back to New York and held in the Brooklyn Detention Center for more than three months. But still I stuck by Danny. Even if he had done wrong, he was still my husband and the father of my children. In winter 1997, we got word that Danny was being released from prison. We had a big welcome home dinner with steaks and started figuring out his defense. We tried to be a family again, and I was full of hope for the future and how we were going to put this behind us. But in April 1998, he dropped a bombshell on me. “I’m in love with another woman,” he announced. “She’s having my baby, and I’m divorcing you!”

I was the wife of a Wall Street ‘Wolf’ [NYP]

24 comments (hidden for your protection)

1. Posted by MFIN Grad | December 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

shutup ho

2. Posted by Happy late חֲנֻכָּה | December 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

g-d I hope brisii is a tag that sees more play in the future

3. Posted by boom | December 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

BOOM ROASTED

4. Posted by Guest | December 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

"But still I stuck by Danny. Even if he had done wrong, he was still my husband and the father of my children."

I guess anal isn't considered cheating.

5. Posted by Guest | December 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

–Guy feeling the same way about Dealbreaker lately.

6. Posted by Danker_Banker | December 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

"There was a nice boy from our building on the same bus [to Atlantic City] who always gave up his [load quickly and then let the next guy have his] seat for me"

7. Posted by Really? | December 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Jonah Hill was a reach as far as casting was concerned

8. Posted by Guest | December 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Seconded

9. Posted by Turnip Truck | December 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

"There was a nice boy from our building on the same bus who always gave up his seat for me. His name was Jordan Belfort, and he worked in finance. I always liked Jordan. I’d see him at the gym in the building, and he was so friendly. I’d see how in love he was with his wife, Denise. I pushed Danny to talk to Jordan. By now, he was struggling with his latest venture, a private ambulette business, and I thought Jordan, who looked like a successful young man working in the city, could help him"

Boy, is there an alternative reading of this narrative.

10. Posted by Catholic church | December 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

You got that right.

11. Posted by Shazmom | December 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Ditto.

12. Posted by Catty McCatterson | December 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Look at her now, more like the WOOF of Wallstreet.

13. Posted by guest | December 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

To be fair… not the worst for being 52 years old

14. Posted by Guest | December 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Aww… she (it?) reminds you of your mommy?

15. Posted by guest | December 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

you're a tool.

16. Posted by guest | December 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

when do you think you'll have sex for the first time?

17. Posted by ShiftyF9 | December 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

perhaps it would bring about the return of Nervous Jew. I miss him so …

18. Posted by guest | December 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Serious question: What is it about boca raton and boiler rooms? They either start there, or open branches there. Lawn Giland I understand, but of all the places in the country…Boca? Why?

19. Posted by Chuck | December 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Hey Guys. Dis is Charlie. Yous remember me breakin dis story way back when! Ya, even way back den, I wuz da guy!

I remember tryin to put some mooves on da wife while Danny was in da can. Almost scored but she finds about dat dere is a Mrs.C. I sez to her – hey, you ever seen da size of my wife. Only got a hummer.

Any ways, keep your eyes posted as I will be breakin all kinds of stories about all dis as da movie hit da big screen.

20. Posted by Guest | December 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Toss off, robot…

21. Posted by Guest | December 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Caption – Now: Posing at a strip mall near her modest home in Syosset, LI, 52-year-old Nancy got divorced from Danny in 2000. “I’m sick of fighting,” she says. “I’m happy.”

The local salvation army was booked, I take it?

22. Posted by fred | January 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

firstly…..I've been going out with Nancy for 6 years……..if nothing else she's still beautiful. I have taken 100's of pictures of her and the one from the post looks nothing like her. We stopped seeing each other in May 2013 for a myriad of reasons. She was truly naïve when it came to Danny's practices. I hope she's happy…… it's hard after having everything and being reduced to very little. Nancy a great mother and a fun person.

23. Posted by Jonathan | March 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM

After reading the article i have come to know the wonderful article as well and i have known that We had a big welcome home dinner with steaks and started figuring out his defense. We tried to be a family again which i need to know.

24. Posted by icdumbpeople | March 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

They are both disgusting. They are related, and created inbred children. Another generation or two, they will surely look it! Jordan found someone somehow lower than he is, which is why they are friends. I notice she never says anything about that. Sick, sad, and downright gross.