- 22 Jan 2014 at 4:12 PM
As long as threats are being issued over the matter, Citigroup would like to remind the U.K. that without the EU, it is just a small island country that is no easier to get to from New York than Frankfurt.
The British Bankers’ Association has sent a submission to a Treasury review that counters fears over the split of powers between London and Brussels, saying the current balance was “broadly appropriate”. It added there was an “overwhelming” case for more resources to be devoted to relations with Europe and warned that the UK was significantly underpresented in Brussels.
In a sign of the concern in the City over the outcome of David Cameron’s pledged referendum on EU membership, Citigroup has separately made an explicit warning to the Treasury about the costs for the UK economy if Britain were to leave Europe.
Citi said that if the UK were to disengage significantly or completely from the single market the implications could be “dramatic”. The UK population would face a drop in living standards as a result of lower wages or a weaker pound so that the same export performance could be maintained within the EU….
“It’s not that international companies will stop investing in Britain, but their investment just won’t be at the scale we have become accustomed to,” he said.
- Citi: EU Only Thing Keeping Britain From Becoming A Third-World Country January 22, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '14: Raises For Everyone (Under 25)! August 21, 2014
- Looking To Become The Next Silicon Valley Billionaire? Schlep Someone Else's Sh*t Around The Desert For A Week August 21, 2014
- Bonus Watch ’14: Hedge Fund Cogs August 21, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '14: It's A Swell Time To Be A Junior Banker (Unless You Work In Europe) August 22, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.22.14 August 22, 2014
- Steve Cohen Betting On Steve Cohen August 21, 2014
- Dealbreaker Chef de Cuisine Says Cook This Now: Chinese Spare Ribs August 21, 2014
- Lehman Trustee Not Sure How $4 Billion In Barclays Pocket Adds Up To $0 August 21, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '15: The Youth Of Goldman Sachs August 20, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com