News

Dr. Ross said that after their initial meeting, during which he confirmed the confidential side effect, he began regularly sharing trial results with Mr. Martoma about the patients he was giving the drug to, in breach of his confidentiality agreement with Elan. Dr. Ross said that in addition to the consultation fees, he was motivated by tapping Mr. Martoma’s contacts in the pharmaceutical and financial-services industry to help his new clinical-testing business, Iberica USA. In May 2008, Dr. Ross emailed Mr. Martoma asking for connections. “I have now opened the [testing center] as you know, and need to contact as many small biotech companies as possible,” Dr. Ross wrote in an email that was shown to jurors Tuesday. “I appreciate your help, and will be happy to return the courtesy in other ways.” Those “other ways” were sharing confidential trial results, as he had done before, according to Dr. Ross Mr. Martoma responded in another email shown to the jury that the courtesies weren’t needed, and he was happy to help a “friend.” But Dr. Ross said Tuesday the two weren’t friends. “It was more of a professional relationship on a contractual basis,” he said. [WSJ]

22 comments

22 Responses to “Doctor And Mathew Martoma Had A ‘You Scratch My Back, I’ll Give You Confidential Information About Drug Trial Results’ Type Relationship”

1. Doodie says:

“It was more of a professional relationship on a contractual basis"

That is what I said! I don't get why people made such a fuss.

-E. Spitzer

2. Guest says:

"He left Harvard in December 1998 without attaining a degree, according to the school’s registrar, and attended Stanford Business School, MBA class of 2003. . .In 2001, he changed his name from Ajai Mathew Mariamdani Thomas, according to the clerk of the circuit and county court in Brevard County, Florida. His father had changed his name to Martoma from Thomas two years before."

Anybody know why his Dad would jump first into the name change game two years earlier than him? Was this guy that calculated that he asked his Dad to change his name right after being booted from Harvard, so it wouldn't be as sketch when he later changed his prior to applying to MBA programs?

• Joe Nazhar Sr says:

Maybe the dad didn't want to be associated with that POS.

• guest says:

he's a duke alum so it's par for the course that he turned out to be a douchy con artist hack that made literally *one* good trade in the history of his career. the only way duke alums make money via fraud or nepotism

3. The Fapper says:

Fap fap fap fap

4. SF and Denver says:

He's a crook. This is outright illegality. Not like subtly holding bids on settlement which doesn't guaranty results.

5. Anonymous says:

The funny thing about my back is that it's located on my cock.

6. guest says:

aside from lawyers, wonder how many millions Cohen is giving him not to turn?

• DA NY # 12 district says:

It would have to be as a forward, and that's a counterparty risk only a fool would take.

7. Guest says:

I'm curious how long DB is going to ride Morgan Stanley's dick in the Banner. Anyone wanna give me the Over/Under?

8. Guest says:

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a trader. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

– Jackie Chiles, Seinfeld

• Guest says:

Thanks for the the "Seinfeld" clarification

-Guest poster, dealbreaker.com (the website on the internet)

9. $niper says:

My guess is that if martoma is found guilty n the feds seize his millions, Cohen will b around the corner waiting to hand martomas wife double what the gov has seized. Have the feds looked into Cohen or his associates making payments to his convicted traders or their families?

10. Many thanks for this great information, i would want to share this along with my friends. Total agree to your perspective, I think its vital that you show the many level while putting up. Please continue updating your site.

Our Sites