News

Exclusive Preview: Harvard Law School Class Notes

1999: ARLO DEVLIN-BROWN Law ’99 writes that you never know where you’ll run into a classmate. He is prosecuting MATHEW MARTOMA (nee Thomas) ’99* on insider trading charges in Lower Manhattan. Devlin-Brown has asked U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe (unfortunately Penn ’79, Columbia ’82) for permission to talk about Matt’s expulsion from Harvard for doctoring his transcript, so get ready for fireworks! The trial is expected to last several weeks, so for anyone who missed WILLIAM PULLMAN and Lisa Frank’s (Yale ’03, NYU Law ’08, NYU Stern ’08) Christmas Eve nuptials, it would be a great opportunity for a mini-reunion!”

via Dealbook:

In May 1999, on the stately campus of Harvard Law School, Mathew Martoma was facing expulsion for doctoring his grades in the hopes of securing a coveted judicial clerkship. That same month, Arlo Devlin-Brown was preparing to graduate from the school on his way to one such clerkship. Fifteen years later, the classmates are having something of a reunion in Federal District Court in Lower Manhattan, though there is not much to celebrate. Mr. Devlin-Brown is prosecuting Mr. Martoma, who went on to become a trader at SAC Capital Advisors, on criminal insider trading charges. Mr. Martoma, who went by the name Ajai Mathew Thomas at Harvard, is accused of using secret drug trial information to help SAC avoid losses and gain profits of $276 million.

In Insider Case, Harvard Classmates on Different Sides of the Court [Dealbook]

Earlier: Behold The Dazzling Array Of Lies Mathew Martoma (née Thomas) Told Before Getting Expelled From Harvard Law School

15 comments

15 Responses to “Exclusive Preview: Harvard Law School Class Notes”

1. HRB says:

I would get a degree from every ivy if it ment I could share one magical night with Bess.

– Hopeless Romantic Banker

2. Cliff says:

Anybody else seeing the "JPMorgan Summer Intern Class Includes Swiss Model June 24, 2011 " showing under popular post? Call me Tounge Shitty McShiteatherass, but I would tounge bang her brown eye to raise money to end world hunger need be.

3. Bloomsbury Banker says:

I would get a degree from every ivy if it ment I could share one magical chart with Matt.

4. ILoveLamp says:

What kind of idiot uses a computer to alter test outcomes? That kind of shit might fly at Starfleet Academy, but this is Harvard Law!

-J.T. Kirk

5. pizza_with_fork says:

you know what's REALLY funny? Devlin-Brown is probably one of the gunners that snitched on Martoma's doctored transcript. I don't buy the judge "thought something was fishy" with the transcript. the judge and or HLS was likely tipped by a jealous, dime-dropping gunner who knew Martoma didn't have the grades, i.e., class rank to get a call back on a clerkship.

6. guest says:

Now there's a guy who should have changed his name without even having to commit grade fraud.

7. C. Gasparino says:

This reminds me of the time I ran into my Pace buddy at a rub-n-tug.

8. Guest says:

Rule #1 of HLS: Don't ever talk about HLS.

9. TheodoreBallgamePhD says: