- 16 Jan 2014 at 2:27 PM
There are apparently companies without the resources to buy triple-A credit ratings from the Big Three. A little fourth has arrived to help, but plans to studiously avoid stepping on larger incompetent toes.
On Thursday, five credit rating agencies in Portugal, Brazil, India, Malaysia and South Africa introduced Arc Ratings, a service they think will give up-and-coming companies access to the capital markets outside their home countries….
They think they will succeed by focusing on the next generation of large companies by offering them access to international capital.
Midsize companies in the emerging markets have been “a segment insufficiently covered and served by the incumbents,” said José Poças Esteves, the chief executive of Arc Ratings….
Arc Ratings hopes to alleviate those concerns by creating a different style of rating that does not focus on whether a debt offering is investment grade, but on the level of potential risk of default, said Uwe Bott, the company’s chief ratings officer and a former executive at GE Capital….
Arc Ratings does not plan to issue ratings in the United States.
“Ratings have been around since 1909,” Mr. Bott said. “It’s time for a change.”
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Every Sexual Harassment Allegation Against Fired Female HSBC Exec Is Worse Than The Last
- George Soros's Daughter-In-Law Wants To See The Part Of The Pre-Nup Where She Isn't Entitled To Every Last Cent
- If You've Got Train Fare, UBS Has Got An Exciting Opportunity In Stamford For You
- HSBC Adds Another Notch To The Ole 'Sued By An Employee Who Was Punished After Reporting Sexual Harassment' Belt
- Ken Griffin Introduces The Concept Of His Divorce Voice
- Bill Ackman Can't Possibly Be Expected To Remember All The Great Ideas He's Ever Had
- Ray Dalio Will Not Have Some 2-Bit Ex-Employees Trading On His Name, Not Even If They've Got The Moves Of Fred Astaire
- Hedge Fund Manager Not Impressed By Marissa Mayer’s Victory Speech
- Opening Bell: 10.24.14
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com