- 16 Jan 2014 at 2:27 PM
There are apparently companies without the resources to buy triple-A credit ratings from the Big Three. A little fourth has arrived to help, but plans to studiously avoid stepping on larger incompetent toes.
On Thursday, five credit rating agencies in Portugal, Brazil, India, Malaysia and South Africa introduced Arc Ratings, a service they think will give up-and-coming companies access to the capital markets outside their home countries….
They think they will succeed by focusing on the next generation of large companies by offering them access to international capital.
Midsize companies in the emerging markets have been “a segment insufficiently covered and served by the incumbents,” said José Poças Esteves, the chief executive of Arc Ratings….
Arc Ratings hopes to alleviate those concerns by creating a different style of rating that does not focus on whether a debt offering is investment grade, but on the level of potential risk of default, said Uwe Bott, the company’s chief ratings officer and a former executive at GE Capital….
Arc Ratings does not plan to issue ratings in the United States.
“Ratings have been around since 1909,” Mr. Bott said. “It’s time for a change.”
- New Ratings Arrives, Will Do Nothing To Keep Others Honest January 16, 2014
- Opening Bell: 04.24.14 April 24, 2014
- Layoffs Watch '14: Barclays April 23, 2014
- Daivd Einhorn: Maybe It's Time To Asking Questions Like, "Why The F*ck Did A Startup Texting Service Sell For $19 Billion?" April 22, 2014
- If You're Fishing For A Compliment From Carl Icahn, Consider Getting Him Nice And Liquored Up First April 23, 2014
- Mohamed El-Erian's Departure Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross's Habit Of Telling People To STFU With Just A Look April 23, 2014
- Goldman Sachs Exec Embroiled In Horse Shit Suit April 22, 2014
- Juan Paulson Isn’t Giving Up On Puerto Rico April 24, 2014
- Bill Ackman On Good Poison Pills, Bad Poison Pills and Things That Are Definitely Not Front-Running April 23, 2014
- Is Lululemon CEO's Lack of Muscle Tone Good Or Bad For Shareholder Value: Investors Debate April 22, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com