- 16 Jan 2014 at 2:27 PM
There are apparently companies without the resources to buy triple-A credit ratings from the Big Three. A little fourth has arrived to help, but plans to studiously avoid stepping on larger incompetent toes.
On Thursday, five credit rating agencies in Portugal, Brazil, India, Malaysia and South Africa introduced Arc Ratings, a service they think will give up-and-coming companies access to the capital markets outside their home countries….
They think they will succeed by focusing on the next generation of large companies by offering them access to international capital.
Midsize companies in the emerging markets have been “a segment insufficiently covered and served by the incumbents,” said José Poças Esteves, the chief executive of Arc Ratings….
Arc Ratings hopes to alleviate those concerns by creating a different style of rating that does not focus on whether a debt offering is investment grade, but on the level of potential risk of default, said Uwe Bott, the company’s chief ratings officer and a former executive at GE Capital….
Arc Ratings does not plan to issue ratings in the United States.
“Ratings have been around since 1909,” Mr. Bott said. “It’s time for a change.”
- New Ratings Arrives, Will Do Nothing To Keep Others Honest January 16, 2014
- Pimco Investor Considering Pulling Out Over Secretariat's Erratic Behavior, Some Other Stuff March 10, 2014
- Don't Get Caught On "His" Side: A Survival Guide For Pimco Employees March 7, 2014
- Bonus Watch '14: Bank of America Just Couldn't Let Brian Moynihan Have This One March 7, 2014
- Bonus Watch '14: JP Morgan Whistleblowers March 7, 2014
- James Gorman Not Sure What The Hell To Think Of Bitcoin March 10, 2014
- New Crop Of MBA Candidates Thinking They're Pretty Hot Shit March 6, 2014
- Area Barber Quits Creativity-Stifling Goldman Gig, Enjoys New And Previously Unthinkable Freedom To Cut March 6, 2014
- Write-Offs: 03.07.14 March 7, 2014
- University Of Chicago Economics Department Suddenly Too Good For Fabrice Tourre March 4, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com