- 16 Jan 2014 at 2:27 PM
There are apparently companies without the resources to buy triple-A credit ratings from the Big Three. A little fourth has arrived to help, but plans to studiously avoid stepping on larger incompetent toes.
On Thursday, five credit rating agencies in Portugal, Brazil, India, Malaysia and South Africa introduced Arc Ratings, a service they think will give up-and-coming companies access to the capital markets outside their home countries….
They think they will succeed by focusing on the next generation of large companies by offering them access to international capital.
Midsize companies in the emerging markets have been “a segment insufficiently covered and served by the incumbents,” said José Poças Esteves, the chief executive of Arc Ratings….
Arc Ratings hopes to alleviate those concerns by creating a different style of rating that does not focus on whether a debt offering is investment grade, but on the level of potential risk of default, said Uwe Bott, the company’s chief ratings officer and a former executive at GE Capital….
Arc Ratings does not plan to issue ratings in the United States.
“Ratings have been around since 1909,” Mr. Bott said. “It’s time for a change.”
- New Ratings Arrives, Will Do Nothing To Keep Others Honest January 16, 2014
- Who Wants To Buy A Las Vegas Resort? April 16, 2014
- Opening Bell: 04.16.14 April 16, 2014
- Goldman Sachs Suggests NYTimes Sleep With One Eye Open April 16, 2014
- Bonus Watch ’14: BlackRock CEOs April 16, 2014
- I Have To Draw You: Reflections Of A Courtroom Illustrator April 15, 2014
- Hedge Funds Actually Riskier, Scarier Than Banks, Vladimir Putin, Earth-Bound Asteroids Combined April 15, 2014
- FINRA Guesses It Will Take A Look At The Information It Collects On Brokers, If You Insist April 16, 2014
- Charlie Gasparino Only Puts Homemade Super Unleaded Gasoline Into His Muscle Machine, Not That Diesel Crap Herbalife Sells April 16, 2014
- Deutsche Bank Needs Less People Vomiting Outside Its Las Vegas Nightclub, More People Blowing Money In Its Casino April 19, 2011
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com