News

Last year was an ugly one for Bill Gross. He suffered the indignity of having a passively-managed stock fund wrest the title of “World’s Largest Mutual Fund” from him. He posted his first annual loss in 14 years. And his ungrateful clients broke the record for most investors getting the hell out of a mutual fund in a calendar year.

A tumultuous past year for the world’s largest bond fund got a little rougher, as investors in Pimco Total Return Fund pulled out a net $41.1 billion in 2013, a mutual-fund industry record.

Client redemptions at the fund, run by Pacific Investment Management Co. co-Chief Investment Officer Bill Gross, broke the previous record of $33 billion in 2011 set by the Growth Fund of America stock fund run by American Funds, according to Morningstar Inc. data going back to 1993….

Investors withdrew a net $31.1 billion in 2013 from Pimco’s U.S.-listed mutual funds, according to research firm Morningstar. Net inflows into the company’s stock funds and some nontraditional bond funds last year partly offset the redemptions at Pimco Total Return Fund. It was the first annual outflow for Pimco’s U.S.-listed mutual funds since 1993 when Morningstar started reporting fund flows.

Gross’s Black and Blue Year [WSJ]
Gross Loses World’s Largest Mutual Fund Title to Vanguard [Bloomberg]

17 comments

17 Responses to “Now That It’s 2014, Bill Gross Doesn’t See Why We Have To Spend So Much Time Focusing On 2013”

1. Alices Restaurant says:

Keep posting OB at 8:30 and we can all forget the clusterfuck known as "Dealbreaker 2013".

• Dishwasher says:

Hey I am that 26 year old dishwasher who works at Alices Restaurant. I'm always on smoke breaks, and my eyes make me looked coked out 24/7. For the record I am dating the 17 year old hostess, but her parents are really cool about it. I've been taking a couple college classes online for the past seven years. Jon Shazar is my bestfriend.

2. Shaz's beard says:

Rumor is Grossy's shaved the dick broom a few years ago to take focus away from his facelift and all the botox. Time to bring back the 'stache Bill.

3. Convex Blowhard says:

Time to think up a new secret sauce that works better than morning headstands staring at the Pacific. That one's been arbed away, apparently.

4. guestie says:

Caption: How about a big giant cup of shut the fuck up.

5. Convexity's Child says:

LOL – I've never bothered to look at the comments before. I was going to write a serious response to this piece. What the hell was I thinking?

• Bored Guest says:

If you want the news, go somewhere else, asshole.

• ??????? says:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

6. Dr Snarf says:

Shazar, I'm gunna cut you open like a tauntaun.

-Han

7. Guy who digs Becky says:

I don't know about everyone else here, but I am stunned we haven't seen a post from Bess regarding the noted hooker fuckers toe licking exploits in a Jamaican hot tub.