Last year was an ugly one for Bill Gross. He suffered the indignity of having a passively-managed stock fund wrest the title of “World’s Largest Mutual Fund” from him. He posted his first annual loss in 14 years. And his ungrateful clients broke the record for most investors getting the hell out of a mutual fund in a calendar year.

A tumultuous past year for the world’s largest bond fund got a little rougher, as investors in Pimco Total Return Fund pulled out a net $41.1 billion in 2013, a mutual-fund industry record.

Client redemptions at the fund, run by Pacific Investment Management Co. co-Chief Investment Officer Bill Gross, broke the previous record of $33 billion in 2011 set by the Growth Fund of America stock fund run by American Funds, according to Morningstar Inc. data going back to 1993….

Investors withdrew a net $31.1 billion in 2013 from Pimco’s U.S.-listed mutual funds, according to research firm Morningstar. Net inflows into the company’s stock funds and some nontraditional bond funds last year partly offset the redemptions at Pimco Total Return Fund. It was the first annual outflow for Pimco’s U.S.-listed mutual funds since 1993 when Morningstar started reporting fund flows.

Gross’s Black and Blue Year [WSJ]
Gross Loses World’s Largest Mutual Fund Title to Vanguard [Bloomberg]

1. Posted by Alices Restaurant | January 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Keep posting OB at 8:30 and we can all forget the clusterfuck known as "Dealbreaker 2013".

2. Posted by Dishwasher | January 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Hey I am that 26 year old dishwasher who works at Alices Restaurant. I'm always on smoke breaks, and my eyes make me looked coked out 24/7. For the record I am dating the 17 year old hostess, but her parents are really cool about it. I've been taking a couple college classes online for the past seven years. Jon Shazar is my bestfriend.

3. Posted by Shaz's beard | January 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Rumor is Grossy's shaved the dick broom a few years ago to take focus away from his facelift and all the botox. Time to bring back the 'stache Bill.

4. Posted by Convex Blowhard | January 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Time to think up a new secret sauce that works better than morning headstands staring at the Pacific. That one's been arbed away, apparently.

5. Posted by Corbin | January 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I read in the NY Times that after making love to a Latin woman, you should hand her a broom.

6. Posted by guestie | January 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Caption: How about a big giant cup of shut the fuck up.

7. Posted by Convexity's Child | January 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM

LOL – I've never bothered to look at the comments before. I was going to write a serious response to this piece. What the hell was I thinking?

8. Posted by Bored Guest | January 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

If you want the news, go somewhere else, asshole.

9. Posted by Doofy Derp | January 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Shazars award winning Ctrl-c/v skills often prompt serious responses

10. Posted by Dr Snarf | January 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Shazar, I'm gunna cut you open like a tauntaun.

-Han

11. Posted by Guy who digs Becky | January 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I don't know about everyone else here, but I am stunned we haven't seen a post from Bess regarding the noted hooker fuckers toe licking exploits in a Jamaican hot tub.

12. Posted by Guest | January 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Shh, I think he's just copying letter by letter. That's why it takes him so long.

13. Posted by Jim Bisenius | January 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

For the record, I've NEVER been to Jamaica!

14. Posted by تانغو للاندرويد | January 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM

nice post . thank you

15. Posted by Guest | January 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Second that

16. Posted by ??????? | January 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

17. Posted by guesty-o | January 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM