Can I be honest with you?

The co-founder of bond behemoth Pacific Investment Management Co. on Thursday defended its competitive culture, saying in an interview that the trading floor can’t thrive on “sweet talking” alone but that the firm is still a family of sorts…In the interview, Mr. Gross, 69 years old, said he is focused on the Newport Beach, Calif.-based firm’s performance and that no one had raised concerns about his behavior. He said he understands why some employees may perceive him as difficult to work with, but that not everyone feels that way. He is challenging at times, he said, in the interest of running the company well. “It’s like dealing with family—you don’t always produce a productive family by sweet talking and always being inclusive,” Mr. Gross said. “There’s a time for soft love and time for hard love.…I can admit to both.” [WSJ, “Mr. Gross doesn’t like employees speaking with him or making eye contact”]

19 comments

19 Responses to “Bill Gross Doesn’t Really See Himself Acting Reasonable Around The Office Anytime Soon”

1. investorcluzo says:

"There’s a time for soft love and time for hard love.…I can admit to both"

Sounds like he's been taking pages from Gundlach's playbook.

2. Blow Me says:

I can see people dancing around singing "Thank you very much" when he dies a la Alber Finney's 'Scrooge'. We're all here to make a buck, surprise surpise. Anyone who thinks they can't be replaced though, they're fooling themselves….including Gross.

"Don't make eye contact with me you whore"

3. Quant me maybe ... says:

Wearing an untied tie is like being a bisexual. You need to pick a side of the fence and get on it or you just confuse the fuck out of everyone around you.

>Let the PC thumbs down fly, bitches.

• Da Gooch says:

Considering his hard ass public persona, he's either a jerkoff or a closet fag. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this.

I'M GOING TO TELL MADONNA ON YOU!!!!

• Montrachet time says:

I'll do that after the close on an exhausting day or particularly good P&L maybe 3 times a year. ( you can do it right unlike this, and you don't have to carry the tie )

I've never seen it done by anyone over 42 though.

But hey I don't have 2 bil.

4. Guest says:

"Productive family"

You know, the kids may think they hate it now, but years down the road, they'll look back at the annual performance reviews and the big chart on the kitchen wall showing the children ranked by sales volume, and they'll miss the good times.

5. Guest says:

"but that the firm is still a family of sorts"

Sounds just like my family environment growing up.

– Will Hunting

6. SlowCal says:

Living in the OC breeds the crazy

7. PC Police says:

Unfortunately there is no discrimination policy in a family or HR department either.

8. Guest says:

so the way to produce a productive family is to speak disparagingly and exclude.

9. guest says:

Ohhhh, Pimco wheeling out the new anti-Mohamed now…
    Pimco: The man who replaced Mohamed

10. BodyLanguageCop says:

the eyes say soft love but the hands say hard love.

11. Bored Guest says:

Keep your hard love away from me, you Skeletor-freak.

Our Sites