- 24 Feb 2014 at 3:17 PM
The Dish Network chief and Phil Falcone bête noire is not as big a fan of the TWC-Comcast marriage as John Paulson. But if it goes through, he’d just like to remind everyone that it would then be totally unfair not to let him have his way with DirecTV.
The cable megadeal “certainly doesn’t hurt the case for consolidation” of the two satellite-TV giants, Mr. Ergen said. “If you take the No. 1 and 4″ players in pay TV and put them together, “it would be hard to see why you couldn’t put the numbers 2 and 3 together.”
DirecTV and Dish are the second- and third-biggest pay-TV providers by subscribers, while Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc. are No. 1 and 4, respectively.
A Comcast-TWC merger would “send a seismic shift across our industry” that “puts pressure on everybody” in the video and broadband businesses in an “unprecedented” way, Mr. Ergen said. “There is nothing that I can see that’s positive about it for anybody in the video or broadband or content business….”
DirecTV and Dish tried to merge more than a decade ago but abandoned that effort in the face of regulatory opposition.
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly Taking A Timeout From Investment Banking
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Employs Unorthodox Approach For Landing Clients (Update)
- Money Manager Holding Credit Suisse's Funds Hostage Elevates The Whole "I'm 5 Minutes Away!" Text When You Haven't Yet Left Your Apartment To A New Level
- Banker Who Faked His Own Death Fielding Hedge Fund Jobs Offers Left And Right, Says Banker Who Faked His Own Death
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Guy Whose Quitting Pimco Totally Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross Treating Him Like Crap Now Back At Pimco
- Jefferies Exec (Allegedly!) Held An Offsite "Mushrooms Day"
- Things Could Be Worse But They Could Also Be Better At Jefferies Right Now
- Opening Bell: 10.30.14
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com