- 24 Feb 2014 at 3:17 PM
The Dish Network chief and Phil Falcone bête noire is not as big a fan of the TWC-Comcast marriage as John Paulson. But if it goes through, he’d just like to remind everyone that it would then be totally unfair not to let him have his way with DirecTV.
The cable megadeal “certainly doesn’t hurt the case for consolidation” of the two satellite-TV giants, Mr. Ergen said. “If you take the No. 1 and 4″ players in pay TV and put them together, “it would be hard to see why you couldn’t put the numbers 2 and 3 together.”
DirecTV and Dish are the second- and third-biggest pay-TV providers by subscribers, while Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc. are No. 1 and 4, respectively.
A Comcast-TWC merger would “send a seismic shift across our industry” that “puts pressure on everybody” in the video and broadband businesses in an “unprecedented” way, Mr. Ergen said. “There is nothing that I can see that’s positive about it for anybody in the video or broadband or content business….”
DirecTV and Dish tried to merge more than a decade ago but abandoned that effort in the face of regulatory opposition.
- Charlie Ergen Game-Planning How To Make The Worst Thing In The World Work For Him February 24, 2014
- Things Are Itchy At Deutsche Bank July 31, 2014
- Two-Letter App Will Not Have Four-Letter App Making A Mockery Of Its Business Model! July 31, 2014
- Investment Bank League Tables: Bangability Edition July 31, 2014
- Bill Ackman Is Sorry You Got Your Hopes Up July 31, 2014
- Morgan Stanley Has A Treat For Senior Junior Bankers July 29, 2014
- Let's Talk About: CFA Results July 29, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.01.14 August 1, 2014
- Dan Loeb Would Like That $1.4 Billion Back July 30, 2014
- Broker Junkets Are Back (But Only 70% As Drunk) July 30, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com