Former SAC Capital Advisors LP fund manager Mathew Martoma was portrayed by his lawyer as the victim of a “rush to judgment” by prosecutors looking to use him to bring insider-trading charges against his former boss, Steven A. Cohen…“Mathew was just a grain of sand in their haste to make a case against someone who is not even in this courtroom: Mathew’s boss, Steven Cohen,” Richard Strassberg said in his closing argument yesterday in Manhattan federal court. [Bloomberg]

11 comments (hidden for your protection)

1. Posted by Quant me maybe... | February 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I say 5 years at at supermax prison for that tie.

2. Posted by 40 yr old juror | February 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM

they feel like you know, bags of sand….

3. Posted by HighFrequencyTrader | February 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM

So can we get a "call the sentence" post going?

4. Posted by Bandersnatch | February 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Martoma's thoughts: A five year old with ADD could come up with a better defense …. I can't believe this guy charges $1,200 / hr …. I should have gone to law school … wait …. at least I'm not paying his legal bills …. I wonder if it's too late to play the race card … Madoff seems to be doing OK in prison … I wonder if I can access Matt's sentencing spreadsheet from court …

5. Posted by M. Martoma | February 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM

But they told me that I'd like the way I look. They guaranteed it!

6. Posted by Lionel Hutz, Esq | February 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

He should have picked me for representation. In previous litigation, I've bested 6 year olds with only mild ADD.

7. Posted by Guest | February 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM

By that legal logic, Broadway Joe would get the chair.

- Bloomberg Sentencing Quant aka Levine Lackey

8. Posted by Shazzy Goose | February 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

He shall only eat boiled goose henceforth!

9. Posted by Guest | February 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

What? He's still a free man? Give it another day for the guilty verdict.

10. Posted by Not Matt Martoma | February 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

"Maybe I can change my name again and apply to Johns Hopkins med school"

11. Posted by steve | February 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM

My question is until last year, Congressmen and senators and their staff/family can do as much insider trading they want to. So hedge fund guys go to jail for 40 years, and the law makers can make millions out of all the sensitive information they got from all the hearings they conducted. What a country.