News

Early last year, Mr. Milian became one of the three barbers at Salvatore’s, a shop that caters to Goldman Sachs employees in the atrium of the Conrad Hotel, next to the bank’s global headquarters at 200 West Street in Battery Park City. By his account, all of his clients, junior employees at the bank, would ask for haircuts that didn’t look like haircuts so no one would realize they had left the office. They rarely requested shaves, and when they did, Mr. Milian said, it was always before the opening bell, a sure sign that they had stayed at the office through the night. And forget about after-shave…He said he started hearing buzz about a new barbershop that had opened in SoHo, where he thought he could be more creative. He left Salvatore’s in December and can now be found at Harry’s, a light-filled, two-chair shop born from an Internet shaving start-up founded by two friends…“I didn’t want to do 10-minute haircuts,” said Mr. Milian, who has a tattoo of straight-razor blades on his left forearm. “I wanted to make something.” He now wears vests instead of suspenders, a mustache instead of a stiff upper lip. He gives two or three straight-blade shaves a day, using a soft white towel with an “H” embroidered in the corner. Most important, he said, he feels like he is part of something rather than just a cog in a machine. At Harry’s, he can express himself. And now, he said, he can even grow a beard. [Dealbook]

17 comments

17 Responses to “Area Barber Quits Creativity-Stifling Goldman Gig, Enjoys New And Previously Unthinkable Freedom To Cut”

1. Guest says:

In SoHo he is going to be shaving a different kind of moustache.

2. guest says:

"Chatter was mostly between the customers and mostly about the financial news they were watching, including one furious discussion Mr. Milian recalled about Buffalo Wild Wings, a public company that owns a chain of restaurants and sports bars. When they did talk to Mr. Milian, it was usually about why they were losing their hair."

hitting a little close to home

3. ThatsVVacc says:

Just finished his book "Why I left Salvatore's: A Babershop Story." The chapter in which he describes the time he intentionally lost a game of five-finger fillet to Edward Scissorhands was literary genius.

4. KingCo says:

A story about a barber's yearning quest for self-actualization is the sign of some sort of bubble, but damned if I know which one.

5. Guest says:

Another victim of Reg FD.

6. Finance Troll says:

Does anyone have Greg Smith's number?

-Mr. Milian

7. Got Laid......off says:

This Obummer economy has everyone pulling tricks.

8. Guest says:

If you like your haircut, you can keep your haircut.

9. HighFequencyHater says:

I'm still partial to the russian half jewelry store / half haircut place behind NYSE. They stocked the waiting area with Playboy and Hustler mags.

• Guest says:

"..place behind NYSE", formerly known as FiDi. Presently, 9/11 Memorial tourist boom town.

10. Sweeney Todd says:

No worries gents. I have great news for you, I am opening my shop next to GS headquarters next month. Get on my appointment book quickly.

11. Hello, great ideas for sure, and your posts are amazing and I have enjoyed it,
    and I hope that you come to us more and thank you very much.

Our Sites