Hedge Funds

Carl Icahn Summarizes His eBay Argument With A Series of Exclamation Points

Uncle Carl has been railing about eBay’s refusal to do what he wants it to do for seven whole weeks now, with new missives every other business day, plus countless tweets and television appearances, about how very badly run is a company that he owns 2% of. Perhaps he realizes that not everyone will wish to read the tens (hundreds? We’ve lost count.) of thousands of words he’s penned on the matter. So allow him to make his case in 23.

CARL ICAHN ON EBAY: CONFLICTS OF INTEREST! OPTIONS BACKDATING SCANDAL! INVESTMENTS IN DIRECT COMPETITORS! DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE INVESTIGATION! THESE ARE “WORLD-CLASS” DIRECTORS?

OK, maybe a few more:

I believe that the Skype affair, only some of the sordid details of which we recently exposed, represents a complete and utter breakdown in the system of checks and balances that a properly functioning board should provide. Without a strong and independent board that rejects cronyism and is willing to hold management accountable, I believe that eBay stockholders may again suffer a travesty even worse than what was visited upon them when Skype was sold prematurely and $4 billion of upside was lost….

MESSAGE TO EBAY’S BOARD: THESE TYPES OF SHENANIGANS MAY FLY IN COUNTRIES WHERE DECISIONS AFFECTING MILLIONS OF PEOPLE’S LIVES ARE MADE IN SECRET POLITBURO MEETINGS. BUT I BELIEVE ONE OF THE THINGS WHICH MAKES OUR COUNTRY THE GREATEST ON EARTH IS OUR DEMOCRATIC FORM OF GOVERNMENT, WHERE DELIBERATIONS ARE CONDUCTED IN THE LIGHT OF DAY AND OUR LEADERS ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO THE PEOPLE. LEGISLATION SUCH AS THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT ENSURES THAT NOTHING STAYS BURIED FOR LONG. THE WORDS OF JUSTICE LOUIS BRANDEIS ARE JUST AS RELEVANT TODAY AS THEY WERE IN 1913: “PUBLICITY IS JUSTLY COMMENDED AS A REMEDY FOR SOCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL DISEASES. SUNLIGHT IS SAID TO BE THE BEST OF DISINFECTANTS; ELECTRIC LIGHT THE MOST EFFICIENT POLICEMAN….”

I have been so successful with companies over the years because I have brought in the right CEO. Sometimes convincing boards to make changes takes years, but when change ultimately comes the results are often startlingly good. In just the last year, simply examine our successes at Forest Laboratories and Chesapeake Energy. We believe that at the very least, eBay stockholders must send Donahoe and the board a message that we are very unhappy with the current situation at eBay.

Above emphases very definitely the author’s. And he didn’t even get to the part about how, in spite of protestations to the contrary, eBay’s own board apparently doesn’t think much of the job this Donahoe character is doing, even without two people on Icahn’s payroll weighing in on the matter.

Carl Icahn Open Letter to eBay Shareholders [Shareholders’ Square Table]
EBay CEO Donahoe’s total pay for 2013 sinks 53 pct [AP via WaPo]

16 comments

16 Responses to “Carl Icahn Summarizes His eBay Argument With A Series of Exclamation Points”

1. Guest says:

[youtube IO6D2RLUyNY&feature=youtu.be&t=33s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6D2RLUyNY&feature=youtu.be&t=33s youtube]

2. Guest says:

Shaz: you're biting the hand that cites you.

3. investorcluzo says:

All caps AND bold, the old guy means business!
    -Activist Letter Writing Quant

4. SAT College Board says:

Bill Ackman : Herbalife :: Carl Icahn : ??

a- Herbalife
    b- eBay
    c- Dairy Queen

5. guest says:

the smell of desperation coming off this letter is nauseating

6. Quant me maybe ... says:

I wonder if he does his own makeup?

>because the face says jaundice, except around the eyes.

• Guest says:

I wonder if he does his own typing?

>because the cap locks say "I don't have to obey the laws of business letter writing; people are interested in what I say, not how I type"

7. Guest says:

Exclamation points pale in existence to caps lock.

8. seeker137 says:

eBay's upper management is comprised of Bain Capital Asset Strippers. They do not care about long term building or even losses if they can "Cash-out." eBay's John Donahoe cashed-out last year to the tune of 29.7 million dollars. Ebay's upper management acts akin to a Mafia shakedown of business owners back in the day. They intimidate, extort and if you do not pay? They shut your business down. And if you become to informed, and might rat them out? They also shut you down. Thus eBay wanting to purge experienced sellers and replace them with new uninformed sellers.
    EBay dehumanizes sellers. In 2007 Bain Capital hijacked eBay and made it into a mercenary, predatory, corrupt entity.

9. Exclamation points? Bad 80's haircut and retro 80's English. Hmmm. Why are the eyebrows dark and the rest of the sphere is so gray? What good is being a billionaire if you can't coordinate things like this?

10. Ellen says:

I do follow Carl faithfully everyday and I do buy off of ebay and I do use Paypal (probably excessively) but unless Carl is wiling to put his money where his'!' is, I'm firmly behind ebay. If Carl dumps more money into Paypal then I will reconsider my position. So far ebay and paypal are working well as is…for me…the end user.

11. They do not care about long term building or even losses if they can "Cash-out."

12. philipcohen says:

“How to complain about PayPal in the UK”

As a matter of interest, another (currently) 410 negative comments on “PreyPal”—well worth a read for any merchant that has not yet had a problem with “PreyPal” because, when you eventually do have that problem, it could well be a serious problem …

13. Robin J merry says:

The opportunity to buy essay. It’s the best platform that gives you the chance to buy essays that are of profound quality by the write a research paper do my essay which help us a lot for any kind of writing services.