News

Mitch Modell stands accused of being a sneaky sneaker salesman. The CEO of the Big Apple-based Modell’s chain has been sued by big-box rival Dick’s Sporting Goods, which charges that Modell impersonated a Dick’s exec earlier this month as he spied on a store in Princeton, NJ. Modell, who once appeared on the reality-TV show “Undercover Boss,” claimed to be a Dick’s senior vice president as he persuaded employees to give him access to the backroom of the store and grilled them about the business, the suit alleges…In 2012, Modell shaved his head and wore a walrus mustache for his appearance on “Undercover Boss,” posing as “Joey Glick,” a warehouse worker at one of his own company’s facilities. Modell said it was “not prepared to offer any comment at this time.” […] Accusing Modell of civil conspiracy and trespassing, Dick’s is seeking a judge’s order to bar him and his workers from posing as employees and entering nonpublic areas of Dick’s stores. [NYP]

22 comments

22 Responses to “If Posing As A Dick’s Sporting Goods Executive And Sneaking Into Rival’s Stockroom To Poke Around Is Wrong, Modell’s CEO Doesn’t Wanna Be Right”

1. super undercover boss

2. Hobbes says:

I wonder if shaving my head and donning a walrus mustache will let me sneak into the backstage area for the Victoria Secret fashion show.

3. guest says:

So if Dick's doesn't have judge’s order to bar me from posing as an employee and entering nonpublic areas of Dick’s stores, then I'm legally allowed to do it?

4. Stephan says:

SOME COMMENT ABOUT HOW "DICK'S" IS A FUNNY WORD AND A FUNNY NAME!!!

– Couldn't contain it and can't believe this is the first one

5. guest says:

They were probably pissed because he didn't give them the $1000 check at the end of his undercover inspection.

6. Joey Glick says:

This is why big box retailers will never work in NY. We don't F around

7. Shaz's beard says:

Goldman VP > CEO of Modell's > Dick's Senior VP > Modell's warehouse worker > UBS MD > Shaz

8. KingCo says:

He wasn't impersonating anyone. What he really said was "I am a Dick, Sporting Goods Executive."

– MD, Strunk & White

9. ILoveLamp says:

Actually, he was doing due diligence for a proposed merged sporting goods venture between the two firms that will focus on athletes interested in figure skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming and yoga. It's going to be called "Mo Dicks"

10. Hello, great ideas for sure, and your posts are amazing and I have enjoyed it,
    and I hope that you come to us more and thank you very much.

11. This is why big box retailers will never work in NY. We don't F around

12. julia says:

Whenever i want some drawback relating this issue I return to your web site and obtain terribly informative stuff thanks plenty for your article . Keep it up.

13. julia says:

leadership development

14. Football is my most favorite one games and I like to enjoy this football match. Your football games writing concept is very enjoyable one look to me. Hopefully, your writing concept help us more in future to enjoy more games.

15. Thank you very much for your efforts and the wonderful efforts benefited greatly