The good news: Bill Gross is taking baby steps toward being comfortable with employees looking him in the eye and one day might even be able to sustain an entire conversation in which no one averts their gaze. The less good news: performance year to date.

The Pimco Total Return Fund, the world’s largest bond fund, is trailing 87 percent of its peers so far this year, according to Morningstar data on Friday, in the latest setback for co-founder Bill Gross. The Pimco Total Return, the Newport Beach, Calif. firm’s flagship portfolio, is posting returns of 1.28 percent year-to-date as of March 27, trailing the benchmark Barclays U.S. Aggregate index by 75 basis points for the same period, according to Morningstar. Pimco, which oversaw $1.91 trillion in assets as of Dec. 31 according to the firm’s website, has been in the spotlight since January’s announcement that Mohamed El-Erian was resigning as Pimco’s chief executive officer and co-chief investment officer. February and March were brutal months for the Pimco Total Return Fund.

Pimco Total Return Fund lagging 87 pct of its peers this year [Reuters]

Earlier: Mohammed El-Erian May Have Left Pimco Because Of A Chronic And Debilitating Condition That Caused Him To Regularly Look People In The Eye; Don’t Get Caught On “His” Side: A Survival Guide For Pimco Employees; Pimco Investor Considering Pulling Out Over Secretariat’s Erratic Behavior, Some Other Stuff

1. Posted by Shaz Attack | March 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I feel your pain, Bill. I am trailing my 99% peers in the DB brackets. It hurts.

2. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Just as long as that return and rank attracts more inflows, everyone should be all smiles.

3. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Things can only be 13% worse but 87% better.

4. Posted by Underperform | March 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM

PIMCO = living in Orange Country

5. Posted by Cumonsense | March 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Looking at all these comments it confirms what I already know. Racism is EVERYWHERE on DB. Please try to understand how our people feel. Because of racist bosses I have been forced to be on disability and have not worked for 5 year. People are especially racist against Bess who people think everything is her fault because she is a WOMAN (IE VAGINA!). This is why we need to pass the Reparations Bill 464 for $9000.00 per African American per a year. The wounds of slavery reach into this generation. FACT. It is only fair and would help with white guilt. We all NEED this to make things better before the knockout game comes to YOUR area or neighborhood. People who disagree need to look really hard at themselves for racist motives!!!!!

6. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

step away from the computer….. slowly…… no one here will hurt you….

7. Posted by Shaz's beard | March 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM

The magic is in the dick broom Grossy!!!

8. Posted by agss | March 28, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Shazar gets 40 acres and a mule

9. Posted by Nervous Jew | March 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

You make me feel nervous and guilty.

10. Posted by Bandersnatch | March 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Secretariat started in last place in the Derby.

Don't fall victim to one of the classic blunders: "Never bet against Asperger's when interest rates are on the line"

11. Posted by Guest | March 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Get the fuck out of my ballpark

12. Posted by Rich Nigerian Prince | March 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I concur. I am a Nigerian prince who have a lot of money. Let me know your credit card information and I'll send you 9000 for slaving away in america my brother.

13. Posted by hopy 1 | March 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM

The good news: YTD performance. , Is the effective work of his staff than every year right? seems not very good.
    hopy

14. Posted by Secretariat | April 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM

This is why I never ever said "I am Bill Gross."