News

University Of Chicago Economics Department Suddenly Too Good For Fabrice Tourre

At least the undergrad program is; the graduate department is still willing to expose its students to his fabulousness.

Economics Ph.D. student Fabrice Tourre, a former Goldman Sachs trader found liable for fraud, will no longer be teaching undergraduate economics this spring. “As preparations continue for the spring quarter, Fabrice Tourre will no longer be assigned as an instructor for Honors Elements of Economic Analysis in the College. Instead he will be able to fulfill the teaching requirements for his Ph.D. program through opportunities in his department’s graduate-level curriculum,” University spokesperson Jeremy Manier said in an e-mail…

Manier declined to comment on what prompted the decision or offer further details. On the courses website and on Time Schedules, Tourre’s name has been removed from the course listing, and the instructor is listed as “pending.” Fourth-year Allan Zhang bid for the section and was disappointed that Tourre would no longer be teaching the honors section of the macroeconomics course. “Macro, I feel, at the very least at the U of C, depends on who’s teaching it, so I was hoping that with Fabrice Tourre, it would be different than with other people in the past. I guess I was hoping that his experience in the private sector and [investment] banking would add something to the class,” he said.

Tourre, former Goldman trader, will not teach undergrads, Univ. says [Chicago Maroon]

25 comments

25 Responses to “University Of Chicago Economics Department Suddenly Too Good For Fabrice Tourre”

1. Guest says:

Man I was jumping at the opportunity to slam Sazzy man for the typo. Now that I see it's Bess, I'm going to pretend I didn't notice it.

2. I like it says:

Don't be to hard on them.

3. back office IT says:

can we stop calling everyone a trader now?

4. Laxbro says:

I believe UChicago is the best college in America. No nonsense.

• BroVerificationQuant says:

Next time you want to pose as LaxBro maybe remember the capital "B," bro.

• Laxbro says:

It's me. I honestly can't recall if I used to capitalize the "b". I think UChicago is great. School full of real thinkers, not worthless pontificators like all of the Ivy faculty's.

• Laxbro says:

It's me. I honestly can't recall if I used to capitalize the "b". I think UChicago is great. Place full of real thinkers, not worthless pontificators like all of the Ivy faculties.

• subtext says:

sooooo laxbro got into booth?

• Quant me maybe... says:

Actually, I agree. Every kid I've seen from Chicago is a top notch thinker with a solid quantitative foundation. Real emphasis on education, not self entitled douchebaggery.

My recollection of Chicago,though, when my dad went there (where he did his PhD in physics) was bad. It's on the south side — really bad area. My mother likes to show off a picture of me in 1st grade — only white kid in the grade, only white kid in the school.

>Makes me think I should use that in the extremely unlikely event that I get into it with Carl Icahn.

• CBOE says:

What's unusual about Chicago is the graduate enrollment is roughly the same as the undergrad.

Still, I've met some surprising mediocrities from there, including colleagues.

Real academics there don't go into finance generally.

• Guest says:

As someone who went to UChicago for undergrad, I would have to strongly disagree. While it may have arguably the smartest kids in the world, 99% of them are so fucking socially awkward, it is unbearable. Not to mention the fact you have multiple murders every day within 15 blocks on campus. Most professors on campus ex-econ/Booth are also insufferable cock sucking pontificators, the likes of which give even the Women's Studies profs at Brown a run for their money.

I don't regret going there, because I played football, got a great job, and hit up Lincoln Park every single chance I got, but let's not act like it's God's gift to academia.

-Guy who thinks that the fact you feel this way about UChicago explains why all of your posts are so fucking stupid.

5. Kyle says:

An ape would know more macro. Kids: go to the zoo and learn.

6. CityCollegeGuy says:

Here at University of New Orleans, we like to call ourselves the U of C of the south

7. Dammy says:

And Fab just got himself a reduced punishment… The judge is deciding his punishment right now and this little media storm over nothing (all PhD candidates teach) gives him concrete evidence that his future earning potential is diminished, while the SEC has argued that it isn't. Instant appeal. People are such morons.

8. Bailout Fab says: