• 22 Apr 2014 at 3:10 PM

Goldman Sachs Exec Embroiled In Horse Shit Suit

Michael Richman is the chief compliance officer at Goldman Sachs. There, he monitors trading activity, seeks to prevent conflicts of interest, and generally ensures that employees of the bank are following the rules, regulations, and laws that dictate what they can and cannot do on the job. While other compliance officers are happy to leave their work at the office, Richman’s passion for forcing people to comply follows him right out of 200 West Street, all the way up to Bedford, N.Y. later that night. There, it’s his neighbors that do the complying.

The threat of lawsuits from litigious neighbors has prevented a movie starring Glenn Close, Kathy Bates and Danny Glover from filming in the posh town of Bedford. Close, who lives nearby, wanted the happy ending of “The Great Gilly Hopkins” (based on the children’s novel by Katherine Paterson) to be shot at the home of Suzanne and Stefano Galli. But the Gallis have been embroiled for years in a variety of lawsuits brought by their next-door neighbors Ruth Toporoff and husband Michael Richman, the chief of compliance officer at Goldman Sachs. “The production company scouted my house, had multiple meetings and signed a contract, but the town denied the permit,” Suzanne Galli told me. The local Bedford-Pound Ridge Record Review newspaper said the town council acted “due to fear of repercussions . . . the potential for litigation.” The movie scene will now be filmed elsewhere.

Maybe a lesser compliance officer would be swayed by the star power of Close, Bates, and (especially) Glover, but this one is most certainly not. Know what else Richaman’s not gonna stand for? The smell of equine excrement wafting onto his property from his neighbors’ barn. How does he know that the smell in question is not actually coming from his own horses? Obviously Richman and his wife own a special breed of horse that simply do not stink.

Besides suing the Gallis, Toporoff and Richman are suing Bedford’s wetlands control commission and the town zoning board. According to the Record Review, Bedford’s town attorney Joel Sachs has asked Westchester Supreme Court to assign a special arbitrator to handle the cases to ease the burden from all the litigation. Katherine Zalantis, the lawyer for Toporoff and Richman, said, “I have no comment because there is pending litigation.” Galli said her neighbors, though they own horses themselves, sued her claiming her barn was too close to the property line and that the smell of manure drifts onto their land. Richman was asked how he could tell whose horses were creating the odor. “He basically got up in court and said, ‘My poop doesn’t stink,’ ” Galli said.

Bedford township nixes Close’s movie [NYP]

1. Posted by Deloitte Consulting | April 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Is this in any way related to Shazars adult diaper fetish?

2. Posted by Turnip Truck | April 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

That's a happy ending? Well, at least no one fell into the river and drowned…

3. Posted by guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM

New scene.
    Exterior of Jerry's brick apartment building with the staircase – then inside where George and Jerry are talking.

Jerry: So you just pretended it didn’t bother you?

George: What is that, Boyfriend? I don't understand that. What, what does she think I asked her out for?

Jerry: Boy, It's the way they just slip that in there too.

George: Yeah, like it's just part of the conversation. “Oh my boyfriend really likes watches. He's a real watch freak.” Well that's fabulous. (snaps fingers in the air a couple of times)

Jerry: Well let me ask you this. What exactly did you say when you asked her out?

George: I said, “would you like to go for a walk or something.”

Jerry: Oh, a walk, well —

George: Or something. I said, “Or Something!”

Jerry: Or something. Yeah, that's a date.

George: (snaps fingers) There you go.

Jerry: You know there is always the possibility, that she called an audible.

George: What do you mean?

Jerry: Well she got up to the line of scrimmage, didn’t like the looks of the defense and changed the play.

George: I think things were going ok. We were having a nice conversation.

Jerry: Uh huh.

George: I mentioned how I liked horse manure.

Jerry: You did?

George: Yeah.

Jerry: Yeah. You said you liked horse manure.

George: Yeah. You know, about how when you break it down, it's really a very positive thing. you know, you have a “nure,” with a “ma” in front of it. MA-NURE. It's not bad.

Jerry: And it was around this point that she mentioned the boyfriend?

George: Yeah. (Jerry nodding) … Oh, you think because of what I said about the manure. I wa, wa, was just saying how it takes a negative thing, and puts it on a positive spin on it.

Jerry: I’m just saying there's a chance she may not have been enamored with your thoughts and feelings on manure.

George: So you don't think she really has a boyfriend?

Jerry: My honest opinion, I think she made it up.

George: Well then she's just a Liar, Isn't she?

4. Posted by guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

what i wouldn't give for the 'people who basically got up in court and said ‘my poop does not stink’' tag to get a lot of play.

5. Posted by Guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Woman who likes creampie will never go hungry.

6. Posted by guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

what?

7. Posted by guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

is this a new form of fortune cookie you're testing out?

8. Posted by Senator Levin | April 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Another shitty deal.

9. Posted by Captain Oblivious | April 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Can we send Tom Hagen up here to negotiate with this prick?? Goldman people are the worst.

10. Posted by Oil Trading Dreamer | April 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM

If I could afford to live up there I'd be a prick, too.

11. Posted by guest | April 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Head of compliance makes enough to afford a horse farm in Bedford? Probably just complying the Goldman way, which is to ensure the firm's pnl comes out ahead of the client on each transaction.

12. Posted by B Iteme | April 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Michael, I am sorry but I thought that was your horse and not Ruth. My apologies.

13. Posted by confucious | April 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

What goes around comes around. That's whether place smells like shit.

14. Posted by Guest | April 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I would love to leave my daily constitutional on this guy's lawn.

-The Grundlefly

15. Posted by HighFrequencyHater | April 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Hah apparently it's reality tv level drama. Kinda like COPS, but 1000x the net worth. http://bedford.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/b

16. Posted by FatGuySkinnyTie | April 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I duno man. The more time I spend in this cesspool of an industry, the more Compliance people keep hammering home each and every stereotype I hold towards them. It's like you have people who are normal (of varying degree of smartness and douchebaggery), people who absolutely need a boss in order to lead their little lives, and people who want to work in Compliance. The latter demonstrate the most baffling and infuriating array of character flaws of any mainstream grouping of human beings, and nothing I hear or experience ever makes me sway my mind in the other direction.

My future fund's compliance officer will be my trophy girlfriend's little brother who went to a bottom-tier party school and can only get the joint away from his mouth long enough to say "yes".

17. Posted by Guest | April 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM

That article was apparently pulled from the Bedford Patch site. Here's the Google cached version of the article linked by highfrequencyhater:

A Bedford Corners woman is accused of stalking her neighbor, including allegedly taking photos and trespassing, according to Bedford police.

Ruth Toporoff, 53, was arrested on May 30 and charged with fourth-degree stalking, a misdemeanor, and second-degree harassment and trespass, which are non-criminal violations.

The alleged timeline involving Toporoff, who lives near Succabone Road, goes from last October to earlier in May. A report was given to police days before Toporoff's arrest, police said.

Toporoff is accused of verbal encounters, being observed taking photos on her neighbor's property and in having a camera mounted to a utility pole facing the site. She is due in Bedford court on June 13.