Jonathan Bush is not in the business processing outsourcing business, or the enterprise software business, or the software-as-a-service business. (He’s in the software-enabled services business, whatever that means.) And the Athenahealth CEO is certainly not in the stock-valuation business.

Still, the nephew and cousin of presidents is pretty sure that David Einhorn meant to say that Athena stock—already trading at a frothy 100-times earnings—“could easily soar 800% or more” when he actually said “could easily fall 80% or more.” Well, maybe not that sure, but all the same.

“I’m absolutely sure this is a $1,000 a share stock,” Bush said in a “Squawk Box” interview. “I have no idea when it gets there.”

But he admitted: “I don’t know anything about valuations, so for all I know [Einhorn] is right.”

Hey, Einhorn? Athenahealth a $1,000 stock, CEO says [CNBC]

1. Posted by Quant me maybe... | May 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM

This article would be a perfect buy idea on Seeking Alpha. All the retirees buying REITs for the 15% dividend would eat this shit up.

2. Posted by guest | May 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM

So would all the hedge funds that loaded upon tech last quarter. (Oops!)
    Glass houses my friend, glass houses.

3. Posted by His Munificence | May 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Prescott Bush must turning over in his grave.

4. Posted by Guest | May 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM

“I don’t know anything about valuations…"

Maybe Cheney could show him the ropes….

5. Posted by Anon PWM MD | May 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Was buying those REITs wrong? Should I not have done that?

6. Posted by Inverse Dive | May 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

When you reverse split 8:1, that's when.

7. Posted by FrostyDingleBerries | May 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM

This is about par for the Bush family.

Famous other quotes:
    "Read my lips, no new taxes" ….before raising them, and lowering them for rich folk
    "Mission Accomplished" ….before continuing to try to win a war for another 5 years

Actually, by this logic, SHORT THE FUCK OUT OF THIS SHITSTOCK

8. Posted by Jesse Pinkman, CFA | May 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I think you might be a little off on your ratio but otherwise I have no concerns.

– Guy who is short

9. Posted by klhoughton | May 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Let's see US$4B market capitalization, a Bush running the company. Generally that's a large loss pending, but there is the Government Subsidy aspect that worked for the Texas Rangers…

So it will be $1,000 a share when (let's be optimistic) there are only 3.5-3.75MM shares outstanding.

When will the buyback be announced?

10. Posted by Just sayin | May 9, 2014 at 11:30 AM

It changes by the second.

– Guy who takes Extenze

11. Posted by Just sayin | May 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It changes by the second.