Recording the quotidian details of my day seems to add hours a day to my life: I’m not sure why. Another trick is to focus on some ordinary thing–the faintly geological strata of the insides of a burrito, for instance–and try to describe what I see. Another: pick a task I’d normally do quickly and thoughtlessly–writing words for the side of a cup, say– and do it as slowly as possible. Forcing my life into slow-motion, I notice a lot that I miss at game speed. The one thing I don’t notice is the passage of time. [BI]

1. Posted by Puck It | May 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I read this quote slowly and then realized that it was two minutes of my life I'll never get back. Sorry, there, Mr Lewis, I'll go back to doing things at game speed and if I miss shit like your mindless dribblings, so be it.

2. Posted by guesticles | May 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

tough but fair.

3. Posted by guest | May 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

if wolfing down a burrito without taking notes about how the guacamole falls is wrong I don't want to be right.

4. Posted by guest | May 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM

interesting that as a regular consumer of chipotle, no one asked me to write shit on the sides of their cups.

-hank "gimme that fucking burrito" kravis

5. Posted by Captain Oblivious | May 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I spent two minutes wondering why I bought this roll of toilet paper called Flash Boys and will Jeff Bezos give me my 14 bucks back.

6. Posted by InfiniteGuest | May 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

So … It's true what they say about medical marijuana, then.

7. Posted by Guest | May 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Lewis lives in Berkeley. This is the kind of groovy THC inspired babble middle aged men in Berkeley banter about.

8. Posted by Guest | May 15, 2014 at 11:48 PM

This is his jump the shark moment, not unlike when a successful hedge fund manager starts buying boats, horses and a vineyard.

9. Posted by Michael | May 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM

The fact of the matter is the quotidian details of Michael's life are far, far more interesting than those of everyone else…it is why I must share.

10. Posted by Meatstick | May 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM

At least you didn't make the mistake of buying it at St. Mark's bookshop for the bargain price of $32.

It was almost worth it though just to see the look of disgust on the hipster's face at the register.