- 09 May 2014 at 3:10 PM
Always remember to put the broadest possible disclaimers of liability into all your marketing documents and contracts. It’s not like anyone is going to read those things anyway, at least not until they’ve already lost $1 billion.
Citigroup Inc. failed to persuade an appeals court to throw out a lawsuit that claims it lied about the riskiness of securities valued at almost $1 billion, as the world’s biggest banks continue to defend against allegations they misled investors in the run-up to the financial crisis…
Citigroup had argued the fraud claim should be dismissed because Loreley hasn’t shown that it relied on bank documents to buy the securities.
The appeals court said that while disclaimers made in “carefully drafted documents executed by sophisticated commercial parties” are usually enough to protect sellers from liability, Citigroup’s disclosures didn’t address the misrepresentations and omissions alleged by Loreley.
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Every Sexual Harassment Allegation Against Fired Female HSBC Exec Is Worse Than The Last
- George Soros's Daughter-In-Law Wants To See The Part Of The Pre-Nup Where She Isn't Entitled To Every Last Cent
- HSBC Adds Another Notch To The Ole 'Sued By An Employee Who Was Punished After Reporting Sexual Harassment' Belt
- JPMorgan Tried To Find A Legal Way To Hire Chinese Powerbrokers’ Children
- If You've Got Train Fare, UBS Has Got An Exciting Opportunity In Stamford For You
- Hedge Fund Manager Not Impressed By Marissa Mayer’s Victory Speech
- Ray Dalio Will Not Have Some 2-Bit Ex-Employees Trading On His Name, Not Even If They've Got The Moves Of Fred Astaire
- Lucrative Sinecure Just Can’t Compete With Screwing With Bill Ackman
- Bill Ackman Can't Possibly Be Expected To Remember All The Great Ideas He's Ever Had
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com