Yesterday afternoon, hedge fund manager Bill Ackman made a bold statement. A presentation delivered live in midtown Tuesday morning was to be “the most important” one of his career and at the end of it, we would “learn why Herbalife is going to collapse.” On CNBC, he acknowledged that he was “raising expectations,” but assured the public it would not be disappointed. How’d he do? That all depends on what you were hoping for. If it was a PowerPoint that convinced the market that Herbalife, Ackman’s sworn enemy, was going down for the dirt nap, then technically, the hedge fund manager probably disappointed you a little.

Herbalife Ltd.’s shares jumped as much as 14 percent after hedge-fund manager Bill Ackman struggled to convince investors that the seller of weight-loss shakes is guilty of fraud.

On the other hand, if you were hoping for a presentation filled with passion, courage, feeling, and above all, patriotism, your expectations were met and then some.

At the end of the presentation and prior to the Q&A, Mr. Ackman got emotional, appearing to show tears as he told his own family’s history of finding success and proclaimed his love of America. Then he delivered a direct message to Herbalife’s CEO, saying he hoped he was listening. “Michel Johnson is a predator. This is a criminal enterprise,” Mr. Ackman said. “It’s time to shut this company down.”

If you’re wondering why Ackman didn’t finish the event by ripping off his shirt and tie to reveal the American flag painted on his chest, there is a simple explanation, which is that he’s saving that particular flourish for the day he delivers Herbalife’s eulogy from Madison Square Garden.

Ackman’s ‘Death Blow’ Fails to Knock Out Herbalife [MoneyBeat]
Herbalife Gains as Ackman Presentation Fails to Convince [Bloomberg]

Earlier: Bill Ackman Set To Blow Your Flipping Mind On Tuesday: Bill Ackman

Related: Area Hedge Fund Manager Doesn’t Get Emotional About Investments Except The Times He Cries In Public About Them; Bill Ackman Does Not Act, Bill Ackman Feels Deeply (And Does Not Appreciate The Insinuation Otherwise, THANK YOU VERY MUCH)

1. Posted by Herba 4 Life | July 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Uncle Carl just put you over his knee and spanked you Billy. Stock is running like a mofo perhaps time for a short cover on say half the position while you can still walk away with some dignity? Carl hugged you cause he knew he was going to go in dry soon enough, he's probably eating this up as we speak.

2. Posted by Screwby | July 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Semper Gumby, Bill!

3. Posted by Michel Johnson | July 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Hey Bill: Come at me bro.

4. Posted by Zacharelli | July 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Bill, I can see your johnson!

5. Posted by Guest | July 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Properly managing expectations > improperly delivering death blows.

6. Posted by Seriously Confused | July 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  7. Posted by Carl | July 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

He's done, stock is up……Who wants a weight loss shake?

8. Posted by guest | July 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Bear is fine!

9. Posted by Herba 4 Life | July 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I mean does this guy have a shred of credibility left? I saw him on CNBC the other morning and he was a total spazz, he was like tweaking out almost. He has lost people more money and been wrong more times than I care to remember. I'm surprised Lloyd hash';t had him taken out after all the "when I was at Goldman Sachs" talk. Also his charitable trust must be a doozy, probably handing out cup o soups in Piscataway.

10. Posted by BNP quant | July 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

do you suk his johnson, too?

11. Posted by Alt_EST | July 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Do not look directly into the eyes of the great and terrible Ackman American Flag Turtle-Monster, for he will dissemble and haunt your dreams.

12. Posted by Herba 4 Life | July 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I mean Einhorn is the only guy who is effective at this shit. Bill is just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Watching two billionaires argue is great tv, like anyone gives a fuck

13. Posted by Ack Ack | July 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Gaza = Herbalife

14. Posted by bklnbridge | July 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM

So THAT's where the flags went!

15. Posted by davidrusso | July 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

This is the single best graphic in the history of this, or any site.

Throw your digital pen on the floor and walk off the stage.

16. Posted by guest | July 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM

you can say suck here.

17. Posted by thatgothamguy | July 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM

hey!

18. Posted by guest | July 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM

ha bloody ha

19. Posted by Guest | July 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Go on.

– You know who

20. Posted by Rahodeb | July 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Well his fund was up 25% through June (vs. S&P +5%), and his compound annual growth rate since 2004 is 21%/yr (vs. S&P +8%), but you're right – his credibility is totes spent. Prolly oughtta pack it in; a bro on a message board called him a spazz.

p.s. "more times than I care to remember" would be how many, exactly? Like, twice?

21. Posted by Captain Oblivious | July 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM

You mean the fund he left like 13 years ago? Which one turdbreath? Keep reading Wikipedia. This guy is no more than a talking head, look at all the dumb shit that has come flying out of his mouth. Go clear my trade and fetch me a vent latte ok dog boy? Thanks in advance

22. Posted by Narcissus Bellicose | July 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

It is a very different carl that actually made Billy cry. I am that carl.

23. Posted by JR Wirth | July 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM

He was crying because he looked down at his phone and saw that the stock was up while mentally calculating his losses.

24. Posted by W Tilson | July 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM

He should really make a PowerPoint presentation about this

25. Posted by Rahodeb | July 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Well I have to say, you really got me on that one – I was getting my info from Wikipedia, I am a dog boy, and I totally clear trades for a living. Brown suit and everything!

But yeah, having heard him present the 8-12 long positions in Pershing Square several times over the past 10 years, and his thesis on some of the various shorts (believe it or not – he prefers to keep those 20 or 30 names quiet because they tend to be small companies committing fraud and he wants the float to himself), I can assure you the man has incredibly deep insight into each of the positions in his fund. His track record speaks for itself (not that you have access to it, apparently you think he's still associated with Gotham…)

Also, turdbreath? I mean, you're crushing my soul over here with that kind of insult.

26. Posted by Rahodeb | July 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just realized you were talking about Cramer.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

27. Posted by Captain Oblivious | July 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Your reading comprehension is also a strong suit I see. Nicely done.

28. Posted by Horse | July 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Hay!

29. Posted by Joseph | July 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Hey!

30. Posted by Charles Ritman | July 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

That is possibly the best headline I have seen ever.

31. Posted by Guest | July 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Try reading some of the other headlines on this fine site.