• 29 Jul 2014 at 11:07 AM

Let’s Talk About: CFA Results

On a Saturday in June, men and women around took a couple of tests. They were the Level I and II of the CFA and while outsiders, family members, MBA grads and the like would never understand how much these exams meant, test-takers knew all too well. Hundreds of hours of studying. Thousands of dollars in test prep books and classes. Social lives sacrificed. Memorial Day weekends uncelebrated. Relationships with neighbors on the receiving end of multiple requests to “Shut the hell up in there I’m trying to study!” more than a little be strained. Episodes of Ladies of London never watched. The downside would be that it was all for nothing. The up? The thrill of one day putting those three little letters next to their name.

The ensuing weeks have undoubtedly been torture. Going over the answers in one’s mind and then going over them again. Comparing notes with a friend only to find you put down the exact opposite, comforting yourself with the knowledge that this guy is the dumbest person you know, only to wake up in a cold sweat with the terrifying thought that he might be an idiot savant whose brilliance lies in taking standardized tests about asset valuation, financial reporting and analysis, and portfolio management techniques.

So while today, and the days leading up, have been full of nerves, it also brings sweet relief. No more second-guessing. No more excusing yourself during conference calls to go throw up. No more alienating your friends by trying and failing to explain to them the concept of CFA Camp.

Of course, the 42% and 46% of Level I and Level II takers who passed are probably feeling a bit better than those who did not. If you’re in the latter group, remember: no one is perfect, not even the former CEO of the CFA Institute. And if you need a place to talk about how you’re feeling, go on and let out.

CFA Exam Results [CFAI]

1. Posted by Guy with Questions | July 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM

When is Matt finally going to take Level II? When is Shazar going to start offering handys in an alley next to Javits to relieve mid exam stress?

2. Posted by Hobbes | July 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Either Level I candidates are getting smarter, or the Institute is lowering its standards.

I think we all know the answer.

3. Posted by guest | July 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Never and soon.

4. Posted by Standardized Hater | July 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Serious question: How much does having a CFA impact a person? Obviously it's some advantage. Please enlighten me

5. Posted by gust | July 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Bands won't make her dance.

6. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Anyone know when last summer's Level 1 result will be released?

– UBS Ebola Quant, Monrovia, Liberia

7. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM

You get promoted to CEO right on the spot.

8. Posted by Standardized Hater | July 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM

WHO IS YOUR CEO!!!!!

Was a serious question but whatever

9. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Not too soon, just too dumb.

10. Posted by Bitter Bitter Trader | July 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM

CFA means "Could Fuckup Anything".

11. Posted by Mr. Rogers | July 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Passed level 2 today. Study time was just my nights and weekends for a month. This exam is weak, which is why they need to resort to artificially enhancing difficulty through b*tch moves like offering it only once a year and designing the answers to confuse people (choose A if statement 2 is correct, B if statement 1 is correct, etc). I'm going to get my CFA and then not want to hire CFAs because I know what a joke it is.

12. Posted by Bejujular | July 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Reading is hard, if the writing is awful.

13. Posted by 2 bps | July 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM

All that so they can pitch a growth and income fund for Johnnys college fund.

14. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Passed Level I. No snark, just happy about it.

- Guy who isn't jaded about the process just yet.

15. Posted by Heath Cumberland | July 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM

See Bess is a LAC chick. She wants to see those three pretty letters following your last name (which she has made clear is not taking in marriage) on your Outlook signature. By now you're thinking that with designation you'll be able to talk about the next step in the relationship. On the contrary; she dont belive in shooting stars, she believes in shoes and cars.

16. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Finally passed Level II on my third try. There would have been no fourth try, so now I get to waste more time studying for Level III.

17. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssed !!!

Back in 1963, bitchez. When the pass rate for Level I was 0%.

18. Posted by CharteredGlnGrryGuy | July 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The exam is weak? You're weak!

19. Posted by PASSEDL2 | July 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM
  20. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM

My boss literally laughed at me when I threw out that I was going to drop my new letters into my business card… so I'd say so much advantage

- new to the buy-side guest

21. Posted by Emotions Quant | July 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM

How did it feel when you learned your fiancee had been getting frisky with Geezer Oil Trader while you were studying?

22. Posted by awkwardation | July 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM

just wait till L3 – its writing intensive so you'll probably never pass it

23. Posted by You asshole | July 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM

GOT is my son. My fiancee is his mom.

24. Posted by N Wacker Stud | July 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM

A CFA guarantees anal from any women you so choose. ANAL!

25. Posted by Need new laptop | July 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I wish Steve Ballmer would get ebola.

26. Posted by Fanboi Quant | July 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM

much pass, very ease, such wow

27. Posted by Chelsea CFA Society | July 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Only women? WTF? Why did I just waste all those hours of my life on this stupid test.

28. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Passed Level II after passing Level I in December. The past month has been me remembering that weekends exist.

I'm happy, but fuck the CFA. See you guys next year.

29. Posted by Chiming In | July 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I've read GOTs posts. This doesn't answer the question.

30. Posted by Danker_Banker | July 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I choose your mother.

31. Posted by Bandwagon Driver | July 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I've been a CFA candidate for 15 months….

My name? FUCK YOU, that's my name.You know why mister? Because you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I rode the 6 train to 51st street and enjoyed a brisk walk to the Hilton. Javit's Center? Ass end of nowhere? NO MORE. Level 3… the time is nigh….

32. Posted by Gold to $5,000/oz | July 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Why do you all want a fucking CFA charter anyway? Looking at the financial landscape since 2007 I'd say all those smart, achieving assholes kind of fucked things up. Your CFA charter won't unfuck the economy. What's it good for?

33. Posted by GSelevator | July 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

fuck CFA too, i also passed 1 and 2 first attempts back to back

34. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Well, you can still make good money even if the economy is f***ed, so, there's a reason.

35. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Wacker Stud is likely describing his sex life

36. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM

But think about how many tinfoil hats you could afford

37. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM

We're happy for you.

38. Posted by Playa Hata | July 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Anyone hear about research fees and trading fees becoming separate entities? Fuck the CFA its all over in 5 years. Hate hate hate!

39. Posted by Guest | July 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Sorry, you must have mistaken this website for WSO. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your question by turning it into an endless discussion of CFA vs MBA.

40. Posted by yours, not mine | July 30, 2014 at 1:05 AM

guess the name says it all, doesn't it

41. Posted by Glen Gary | July 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Put that coffee down.

42. Posted by Thomas Callahan III | July 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

anyone else read that comment as "D+?!? Ohh myyy goddd [Guest's comment] I'm gonna graduate!!!!"

43. Posted by Ebola guest | August 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Had no idea that so many cum dumpsters on this site haven't been here long enough to be aware of previous stories about CFA results being delayed to test takers in Africa. Other than that I have no concerns.

– someone who remembers long ago when Carney was on this site and reporting about Ladyboys in Thailand.