“Bon appétit,” says Pandit, as he slices into a beetroot and continues to extol the virtues of something he calls the “SMAC stack”. I tell him this sounds awful but, he assures me, “it’s the vernacular for the ease for which you can get into business today,” and it stands for “Social media, Mobility, Applications and Cloud. “Data is like . . . You’re too young, but there was a movie with the [line about] plastics.” When I assure him I’m familiar with The Graduate, he says: “Data is this generation’s plastics. I don’t see business models being truly successful until you get it.” [FT]

1. Posted by guest | July 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

never took him for a "Bon appétit" kinda guy.

2. Posted by guest | July 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

totally.

- guy who has no idea what you mean but wanted to weigh in

3. Posted by Shaz's beard | July 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Mrs. Shazzy is no stranger to the SAC stack.

4. Posted by Cougar Hunter MD | July 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Ahh Felidia, one of my favorite cougar traps. All these guys wives go there regularly and it is a train wreck.

5. Posted by guest | July 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM

GO ON.

-guy who needs this today

6. Posted by guest | July 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

This doesn’t immediately strike me as a Vikram Pandit joint. I am waiting for the deposed chief executive of Citigroup at Felidia, a restaurant on 58th street, just below the Upper East Side in Manhattan.

Sipping a glass of champagne, one woman is telling another how she recently blacked out in a hotel room – “That really freaked me out” – before praising her hairdresser Alessandro.

In bounds the wonkish, wiry Indian-born financier, who contrives to look both uncomfortable and confident in most settings. I doubt he cares about his hair even though, like his navy blue suit, it is neat, and he certainly won’t be blacking out on the fizzy water we order. In an industry where some still knock back the booze, Pandit rarely drinks and declines my suggestion of wine.

7. Posted by guest | July 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM

love the urgency of the caps.

8. Posted by badumpbump | July 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Yeah I went out with her- woke up with felidia. Been on penecillan ever since…

Vikram Youngman
    Vaudeville quant

9. Posted by Cougar Hunter MD | July 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

They all live in that neighborhood. Nearys down the street is another place to pick up an older woman with a rich husband who has absolutely no time for her. Bberg and that crew hangs there. If you are 40 or younger they are on you likes flies on a rib roast

10. Posted by InfiniteGuest | July 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Maybe not plastics, but there's some pretty exciting stuff happening in materials science these days. And 3D printing.

Just sayin'.

11. Posted by Short, But Long | July 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I agree with Pandit.. I am SHORT all of these things..