• 25 Aug 2014 at 3:52 PM

108 Year-Old Investor Recommends Cheeseburgers

One of the secrets to Irving Kahn’s success.

Three days a week, Irving Kahn takes a taxi from his flat in Manhattan for the short ride to the offices of his investment firm, Kahn Brothers. Nothing surprising about that, you might think. But Mr Kahn is 108 years old. His Wall Street career began before the crash of 1929 and over the intervening decades he has seen the Great Depression, the Second World War, the Cold War and the recent financial crash, as well as numerous less-severe crises. Through them all he carried on investing…Mr Kahn said he was finding few bargains in today’s markets, in which America’s benchmark S&P 500 index has hit repeated record highs. “I try not to pontificate about the market, but I can say that my son and I find very few instances of value when we look at the market today. That is usually a sign of widespread speculation,” he said…He explained how investment decisions are reached at Kahn Brothers. “Tom runs the firm and my grandson Andrew is one of our analysts. The three of us and our team enjoy debating the merits of companies. Sometimes we have different opinions, which makes it interesting…

Asked the secret of his father’s longevity, [Tom Kahn] said: “I think it’s 75pc genetic. He didn’t have a good diet; he used to prefer cheeseburgers to salad and ate lots of meat. And he smoked until he was about 50.”

108-year-old investor: ‘I doubled my money in 1929 crash – and I’m still winning’ [Telegraph]

1. Posted by Good News | August 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM

This gentleman restores my faith in the investing business. Kudos to you, Bess for reporting on this.

2. Posted by guest | August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

mandelbaum, mandelbaum, mandelbaum!

3. Posted by Narcissus Bellicose | August 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I've been lucky enough to peek into various vintage offices in several buildings downtown and was always jealous of the old school gear. I'm sure this dude would make an interesting wingman…

4. Posted by Guest | August 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

All the preservatives, I guess.

5. Posted by Langon Alger | August 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Fucking pussy.

-Charles Gasparino, Senior Metamucil Correspondent

6. Posted by THAT guy | August 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM

He's been in the news many times before, you know

7. Posted by Joe Momma | August 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM

….you'd be lucky to work for HIM, and not the other way around, m'kay pumkin

8. Posted by Xenomorph | August 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM

You do realize that no one here regards gas bag as a real journalist, right?

9. Posted by guest | August 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM