A pair of BSAM’s most successful hedge funds were run by Ralph Cioffi, one of the firm’s top traders, and Matthew Tannin. The funds traded in the kinds of exotic assets Mr. Marin and Bear Stearns were experts in, collateralized debt obligations. When the housing market on which these bundles of mortgages were based seized up, the funds tanked and Bear Stearns had to spend $3.2 billion bailing them out, the second-largest intervention in Wall Street history (though it would pale in comparison to what was coming). When asked about these events, and how Mr. Marin comported himself, Mr. Schwartz was insistent. “I do not want to talk about that,” he said from his car Tuesday morning, on the way to a meeting. “If you want to talk about the ferris wheel and Rich, great. Every article doesn’t have to be dredging up what happened at Bear Stearns. Rich is a good guy, a creative guy, a good business man. I don’t want to reminisce about what happened at that time. It’s frankly a disservice to drag it back up.” [NYO]
Popularized in films like Limitless, legal smart drugs called Nootropics are becoming more and more prevalent in board rooms and on Wall Street.Keep reading »
Keep reading »
It’s not just doctors and scientists that need STEM education. America’s shifting economy is demanding more trained workers in many different sectors. See how Travis Brooks got the hands-on education he needed to become a technician at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery. Visit The Atlantic to learn more.
- Sage Kelly Bids Jefferies Adieu
- Bonus Watch '14: Jefferies
- Bonus Watch '14: Investment Analyst Turned Fantasy Sports Team General Manager
- Bill Ackman Just Can't Help Himself
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Goldman Sachs Ready To Show Everyone How This Whole ETF Thing Is Done
- Opening Bell: 12.17.14
- Jorge Posada As Good At Picking Financial Advisers As He Was At Throwing Out Baserunners
- 10 Reasons Wall Street Is Using Smart Drugs Crush Work
- Ex-BlackRock Exec Regrets £43,000 Commuting Scam, Will Never Work In This Town Again
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com