If the phrase ‘jumped the shark’ hadn’t long ago done so itself, we might write that the news coverage of News Corp’s bid to buy Dow Jones jumped the shark this morning. The business news media is obsessed with the story—which just happens to be about the business news media. And sometime late last night and early this morning—to the sound of full-color print presses humming and newspaper delivery trucks idling—the coverage of the story really began to plumb the depths of its own navel.
This morning the New York Times delivered the news that—as the headline proclaimed—‘Wall St. Journal Editors Held News of Murdoch Bid.’ (Click here for Joe Weisenthal’s reaction in Opening Bell.) It’s a story that the Times editors viewed as important enough to run on the front page of the business section. So what we end up with is a story in a business section (the Times) about how a business news organization (the Journal) covered an acquisition about a business news organization (also the Journal). And now all the other business news organizations (CNBC, the wire services, DealBreaker) are reporting and commenting on that.
- 08 May 2007 at 11:57 AM
The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming ‘Rupert Was Here’By John Carney
- The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming 'Rupert Was Here' May 8, 2007
- Deutsche Bank CFO Probably Doing Some Soul-Searching Right About Now July 23, 2014
- Bill Ackman Hates The Hell Out Of Herbalife Because God Damnit He Loves America July 22, 2014
- Federal Reserve Suggests Deutsche Bank Just Scrap The Whole Thing And Start Over July 22, 2014
- Don't Start Your Pershing Square Redemption Pool Just Yet July 23, 2014
- Women In Business Are Drinking Their Way Through The Glass Ceiling July 21, 2014
- Opening Bell: 07.23.14 July 23, 2014
- Friendship Means Not Gloating About The $234 Million You Just Made On Herbalife July 23, 2014
- Renaissance Technologies: Buy-And-Hold Investor July 1, 2013
- Bill Ackman Set To Blow Your Flipping Mind On Tuesday: Bill Ackman July 21, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com