If the phrase ‘jumped the shark’ hadn’t long ago done so itself, we might write that the news coverage of News Corp’s bid to buy Dow Jones jumped the shark this morning. The business news media is obsessed with the story—which just happens to be about the business news media. And sometime late last night and early this morning—to the sound of full-color print presses humming and newspaper delivery trucks idling—the coverage of the story really began to plumb the depths of its own navel.
This morning the New York Times delivered the news that—as the headline proclaimed—‘Wall St. Journal Editors Held News of Murdoch Bid.’ (Click here for Joe Weisenthal’s reaction in Opening Bell.) It’s a story that the Times editors viewed as important enough to run on the front page of the business section. So what we end up with is a story in a business section (the Times) about how a business news organization (the Journal) covered an acquisition about a business news organization (also the Journal). And now all the other business news organizations (CNBC, the wire services, DealBreaker) are reporting and commenting on that.
- 08 May 2007 at 11:57 AM
The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming ‘Rupert Was Here’By John Carney
- The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming 'Rupert Was Here' May 8, 2007
- Daivd Einhorn: Maybe It's Time To Asking Questions Like, "Why The F*ck Did A Startup Texting Service Sell For $19 Billion?" April 22, 2014
- Opening Bell: 04.03.14 April 23, 2014
- Goldman Sachs Exec Embroiled In Horse Shit Suit April 22, 2014
- Is Lululemon CEO's Lack of Muscle Tone Good Or Bad For Shareholder Value: Investors Debate April 22, 2014
- Bill Ackman’s Boyish Visage To Be Preserved For Posterity April 22, 2014
- Larry Fink Expands On His Dislike Of Hedge Funds April 22, 2014
- Bill Ackman Doing Okay For Himself This Year April 22, 2014
- Somebody Thinks Their Facebook Shares Are Going To Take A Hit April 22, 2014
- Breaking: Banks Competing With Each Other April 22, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com