If the phrase ‘jumped the shark’ hadn’t long ago done so itself, we might write that the news coverage of News Corp’s bid to buy Dow Jones jumped the shark this morning. The business news media is obsessed with the story—which just happens to be about the business news media. And sometime late last night and early this morning—to the sound of full-color print presses humming and newspaper delivery trucks idling—the coverage of the story really began to plumb the depths of its own navel.
This morning the New York Times delivered the news that—as the headline proclaimed—‘Wall St. Journal Editors Held News of Murdoch Bid.’ (Click here for Joe Weisenthal’s reaction in Opening Bell.) It’s a story that the Times editors viewed as important enough to run on the front page of the business section. So what we end up with is a story in a business section (the Times) about how a business news organization (the Journal) covered an acquisition about a business news organization (also the Journal). And now all the other business news organizations (CNBC, the wire services, DealBreaker) are reporting and commenting on that.
- 08 May 2007 at 11:57 AM
The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming ‘Rupert Was Here’By John Carney
- The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming 'Rupert Was Here' May 8, 2007
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed September 17, 2014
- Harvard Professor Been Waiting 39 Years To Nail Lloyd Blankfein To The Wall September 18, 2014
- Tom Brady Could've Been The Tom Brady Of Merrill Lynch September 18, 2014
- Call The (Alibaba) Close (UPDATE) September 19, 2014
- Opening Bell: 09.19.14 September 19, 2014
- Alibaba Rank And File Employees Super Excited (That The Weekend Is Here) September 19, 2014
- Bank Of America's Attempt To Get Out Of 99th Billion Dollar Fine Probably Unsuccessful September 19, 2014
- Sex, Shoe Bonuses For Interns NBD At UBS (Update) September 15, 2014
- Man Posting Photos Of Near-Naked Women To Instagram Amazingly Has Lots Of Followers September 17, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com