If the phrase ‘jumped the shark’ hadn’t long ago done so itself, we might write that the news coverage of News Corp’s bid to buy Dow Jones jumped the shark this morning. The business news media is obsessed with the story—which just happens to be about the business news media. And sometime late last night and early this morning—to the sound of full-color print presses humming and newspaper delivery trucks idling—the coverage of the story really began to plumb the depths of its own navel.
This morning the New York Times delivered the news that—as the headline proclaimed—‘Wall St. Journal Editors Held News of Murdoch Bid.’ (Click here for Joe Weisenthal’s reaction in Opening Bell.) It’s a story that the Times editors viewed as important enough to run on the front page of the business section. So what we end up with is a story in a business section (the Times) about how a business news organization (the Journal) covered an acquisition about a business news organization (also the Journal). And now all the other business news organizations (CNBC, the wire services, DealBreaker) are reporting and commenting on that.
- 08 May 2007 at 11:57 AM
The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming ‘Rupert Was Here’By John Carney
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- The New York Times Looks Inside The Wall Street Journal And Discovers A Neon Sign Proclaiming 'Rupert Was Here' May 8, 2007
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Marissa Mayer Is An Enigma, Wrapped In A Michael Kors Dress, Posing Upside Down On A Chaise Lounge December 5, 2013
- Greek-Focused Hedge Fund Doing Okay For Itself December 5, 2013
- Applicant Formerly Interested In Wells Fargo Securities Analyst Program Has Epiphany November 25, 2013
- Swiss Banks Will Not Be Rushed Re: Deciding To Comply With U.S. On Tax Evasion December 5, 2013
- Formerly Jailed Hedge Fund Manager Just Really Needs Everyone To Know That Lots And Lots Of People Like Him And Think He's Probably Not A Crook December 5, 2013
- Layoffs Watch '14: Investment Banking December 4, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com