Dueling billionaire investors Carl Icahn and William Ackman, who have gone toe-to-toe in a battle over the legitimacy of Herbalife Ltd., were silent Wednesday as the nutritional-supplements maker held a conference call to discuss its better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings. Mr. Ackman has bet against the company’s shares, setting up a more than $1 billion short position accompanied by a high-profile campaign questioning Herbalife’s business and calling its distribution model a “pyramid scheme.” Mr. Icahn, meanwhile, has taken a 13% stake in the company and said he intends to discuss potential strategic alternatives with the company, which he insists has significant growth potential. The battle has played out in the public eye, notably when the two men sparred last month in a televised war of words on business news network CNBC…Neither Mr. Ackman nor Mr. Icahn spoke on the call. A spokeswoman for Mr. Ackman’s firm declined to immediately comment on the matter. A spokeswoman for Mr. Icahn said he was unavailable to comment. [WSJ, related, related]
a day that will live in infamy
- 20 Feb 2013 at 1:46 PM
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly Taking A Timeout From Investment Banking
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Employs Unorthodox Approach For Landing Clients (Update)
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Money Manager Holding Credit Suisse's Funds Hostage Elevates The Whole "I'm 5 Minutes Away!" Text When You Haven't Yet Left Your Apartment To A New Level
- Banker Who Faked His Own Death Fielding Hedge Fund Jobs Offers Left And Right, Says Banker Who Faked His Own Death
- Jefferies Exec Details All The Places He's Never Mistaken For A Toilet
- Things Could Be Worse But They Could Also Be Better At Jefferies Right Now
- Guy Whose Quitting Pimco Totally Had Nothing To Do With Bill Gross Treating Him Like Crap Now Back At Pimco
- Jefferies Exec (Allegedly!) Held An Offsite "Mushrooms Day"
- Jefferies Exec Sage Kelly (Allegedly!) Lets Analysts Deal With His 28k Strip Club Tabs
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com