Dueling billionaire investors Carl Icahn and William Ackman, who have gone toe-to-toe in a battle over the legitimacy of Herbalife Ltd., were silent Wednesday as the nutritional-supplements maker held a conference call to discuss its better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings. Mr. Ackman has bet against the company’s shares, setting up a more than $1 billion short position accompanied by a high-profile campaign questioning Herbalife’s business and calling its distribution model a “pyramid scheme.” Mr. Icahn, meanwhile, has taken a 13% stake in the company and said he intends to discuss potential strategic alternatives with the company, which he insists has significant growth potential. The battle has played out in the public eye, notably when the two men sparred last month in a televised war of words on business news network CNBC…Neither Mr. Ackman nor Mr. Icahn spoke on the call. A spokeswoman for Mr. Ackman’s firm declined to immediately comment on the matter. A spokeswoman for Mr. Icahn said he was unavailable to comment. [WSJ, related, related]
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Activist Investors Save Best Material For Next CNBC Cage Match February 20, 2013
- Michael Steinberg Wasn't Sure Steve Cohen Would Be Thrilled To Hear He Was Insider Trading, Needed To Work Out The Pros And Cons First December 3, 2013
- Cliff Asness Has A Lot Of Problems With You People December 3, 2013
- Gary Cohn Chooses Not To Say, "I ran into Jamie Dimon on the first night of Hannukkah and asked him what it was like to have a menorah shoved up his ass" In The Presence Of A Reporter December 3, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino Has An Idea December 3, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.03.13 December 3, 2013
- How To Be More Like Goldman Sachs, Part Four December 3, 2013
- Wells Fargo Not A Huge Hit Among The Bridge-Burning Analyst-Hopeful Class November 25, 2013
- Commerzbank Is Entertaining Some Uninvited Guests Today December 3, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com