At their best, these [pre-Thanksgiving] reunions are a chance for old friends to catch up. At their worst, they are the source of the moniker “Blackout Wednesday” in some hard-partying bars. Either way, these gatherings have made the Wednesday before Thanksgiving one of the biggest party nights of the year. “That night is even bigger than New Year’s Eve,” says James Brown, owner of San Pedro Brewing Co., a neighborhood brew pub outside Los Angeles. It’s a see-and-be-seen kind of night,” he says. “In the suburbs, the night is absolutely the biggest night of the year,” says Drew Zuccarini, manager. “That Wednesday night has grown into the pinnacle event of the holiday weekend,” says Ken Henricks of Bottleneck Management Group, which owns four Chicago-area bars. “It used to be, ‘Oh, let’s get together Wednesday because it’s convenient.’ ” Now, he says, “for a certain demographic it has become an institution.” [WSJ]
a see-and-be-seen kind of night
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Tell George Soros Something He Doesn't Know November 23, 2011
- Credit Suisse Employee Moonlights As Breakdancing National Champion December 6, 2013
- Using Yiddish Word For Screwing Only One Of The Many Colorful Ways That Bernie Madoff Made Clear He Was Up To No Good December 6, 2013
- Don't Want To Get On Compliance's Watch List? Consider Not Going On Endlessly About How Ravenous You Are Or How They're Expecting You At Chipotle; One "God Damn It I'm Starving" Or "Need Burrito In Mouth, Stat" Should Suffice December 6, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino's Gut Tells Him Trouble Is Brewing At Goldman Sachs, Though In Fairness That Could Just Be Last Night's Chinese December 6, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.06.13 December 6, 2013
- Christmas Come Early For John Paulson December 6, 2013
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com