Former SAC Capital Advisors LP portfolio manager Mathew Martoma was charged in what U.S. prosecutors called “the most lucrative insider-trading scheme ever,” netting as much as $276 million while at the hedge fund. Prosecutors in the office of U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan today unsealed a complaint charging Martoma with trading on illicit tips about Alzheimer’s disease drug-trial results from 2006 to 2008. Martoma is accused of arranging trades in shares of Wyeth LLC and Elan Corp., making $220 million in profits and avoiding $56 million in losses for an unnamed hedge fund. Martoma is charged with one count of conspiracy and two counts of securities. Mathew Martoma, 38, of Boca Raton, Florida, worked for CR Intrinsic Investors in Stamford, Connecticut, a unit of SAC Capital, according to a civil complaint lawsuit filed against him by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Martoma allegedly engaged in the misconduct while at CR Intrinsic, according to the SEC complaint. [Bloomberg, WSJ, Complaint]
Popularized in films like Limitless, legal smart drugs called Nootropics are becoming more and more prevalent in board rooms and on Wall Street.Keep reading »
Keep reading »
It’s not just doctors and scientists that need STEM education. America’s shifting economy is demanding more trained workers in many different sectors. See how Travis Brooks got the hands-on education he needed to become a technician at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery. Visit The Atlantic to learn more.
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Hedge Fund Out To Prove There Is Life After Losing 90% Of Your Assets
- JOBS Act Helps Hedge Fund Raise Money Through Widespread Advertising
- Dov Charney’s Version Of Broke Includes A $4 Million House He’s Not Using
- 10 Reasons Wall Street Is Using Smart Drugs Crush Work
- This Is Why Chris Rokos Really Needs A Job (At Home Gym)
- Bonus Watch '14: Investment Analyst Turned Fantasy Sports Team General Manager
- Point72 Asset Management Now Has A Unit Called "Creating Rubric Capital"
- Holiday Bell: 12.26.14
- One Fund Manager Is In Favor Of Scottish Independence
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com