Convicted fraudster Bernie Madoff was “desperately disappointed” that the owners of the Mets chose to settle the fraud lawsuit brought on behalf of victims of Madoff’s Ponzi scheme, CBS News reported Wednesday. “He wrote me last weekend that he was so looking forward to that trial,” said Diane Henriques, author of the book “Wizard of Lies” which detailed Madoff’s fraud. “He was hoping that the Mets’ defense would make the case he was making to me that they had no reason to doubt Madoff.” The trustee for Madoff’s victims, Irving Picard, was set to argue at trial that Mets owner Fred Wilpon, once a friend of Madoff and a longtime investor, was willfully blind and chose to ignore signs that Madoff was producing fraudulent returns. Henriques told CBS that in recent emails from prison Madoff blasted Picard, who was seeking more than $300 million at trial. “He calls Picard a fool, an amateur, says he doesn’t understand the market, says he never understood the market, that he’s just lost on Wall Street,” Henriques said. [NYP]
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Bernie Madoff Not Feeling Wilpon Settlement March 21, 2012
- Credit Suisse Employee Moonlights As Breakdancing National Champion December 6, 2013
- Don't Want To Get On Compliance's Watch List? Consider Not Going On Endlessly About How Ravenous You Are Or How They're Expecting You At Chipotle; One "God Damn It I'm Starving" Or "Need Burrito In Mouth, Stat" Should Suffice December 6, 2013
- Using Yiddish Word For Screwing Only One Of The Many Colorful Ways That Bernie Madoff Made Clear He Was Up To No Good December 6, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino's Gut Tells Him Trouble Is Brewing At Goldman Sachs, Though In Fairness That Could Just Be Last Night's Chinese December 6, 2013
- Christmas Come Early For John Paulson December 6, 2013
- Cliff Asness Has A Lot Of Problems With You People December 3, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com