Investors gave Bernie Madoff money because they trusted him. They gave Sam Israel money because they liked him—a gregarious, disarming goofball who, as a Wall Street apprentice, had invented an alter ego he called Captain Proton, a fearless superhero whose special powers were granted by vodka and cocaine. Now in his forties, he lived in a Westchester mansion, rented from Donald Trump for $22,000 a month, with an adjacent chapel in which he had built a replica of the Bayou trading floor alongside an 800-gallon saltwater fish tank and a menagerie of rare reptiles. He’d also installed a high-end studio for jam sessions, where he’d play with the Allman Brothers’ drummer when the band was in town. He owned a fleet of Porsches and signed personal checks printed with the image of SpongeBob SquarePants…Once he’d welcomed his family home from a short trip standing in the driveway wearing cowboy boots, his wife’s bikini underwear, a lacrosse helmet, swim goggles, a life jacket, and a cape, then started screaming at his wife when she didn’t get the joke. [NYM, related]
- 03 Jul 2012 at 11:36 AM
Claim: Sam Israel’s Investors Gave Him Money Because They Liked Animal-Loving Cokeheads Who Looked Good In Women’s Underwear And Cowboy BootsBy Bess Levin
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- Claim: Sam Israel's Investors Gave Him Money Because They Liked Animal-Loving Cokeheads Who Looked Good In Women's Underwear And Cowboy Boots July 3, 2012
- OH NO HE DI'INT: Ken Griffin Divorce Edition September 2, 2014
- Boone Pickens Basically A Porn Star: 5th Wife September 2, 2014
- Angelo Mozilo Has No Idea Why People Still Want To Talk About Countrywide, He's Yet To Be Inducted Into The CEO Hall Of Fame September 2, 2014
- Credit Suisse Investigation Into Husband/Wife Leak Raises More Questions Than It Answers September 2, 2014
- Allowance Watch '14: Citigroup September 2, 2014
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- One Unidentified Compliance Staffer Had A Hell Of A Labor Day Weekend On The SEC September 2, 2014
- Opening Bell: 09.02.2014 September 2, 2014
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com