Undergraduates at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will be given $100 (£59) worth of bitcoins when they return to study this autumn, in an attempt to jumpstart a bitcoin ecosystem. The project is being led by Jeremy Rubin, 19, an undergraduate in his second year at the university, and Daniel Elitzer, an MBA student at MIT’s Sloan School of Management. Between them, the pair have raised more than $500,000, principally from Alexander Morcos, an MIT alum who works in high-frequency trading in New York. “We decided to announce this project now to give students lead time,” says Elitzer. “We want to issue a challenge to some of the brightest technical minds of a generation: ‘When you step on to campus this fall, all of your classmates are going to have access to bitcoin; what are you going to build to give them interesting ways to use it?’” “Giving students access to cryptocurrencies is analogous to providing them with internet access at the dawn of the internet era,” adds Rubin. [Guardian]
- 30 Apr 2014 at 5:57 PM
- 13 Feb 2014 at 4:41 PM
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- MIT Undergrads To Join Bitcoin 'Ecosystem' April 30, 2014
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Kyle Bass Not Entirely Thrilled With Paul Singer At The Moment August 28, 2014
- Write-Offs: 08.29.14 August 29, 2014
- Horror In The Hamptons: Rosé Shortage Edition August 27, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.28.14 August 28, 2014
- If Chris Rokos Isn’t Allowed To Lose $383 Million At Brevan Howard, He Should Damn Well Be Allowed To Lose It Somewhere Else! August 27, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '14: Raises For Everyone (Under 25)! August 21, 2014
- New Investment Vehicle Offers Promising Returns, High-Risk Of Saying "Screw It, I'm Drinking This" August 28, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com