Now that Madonna has classed up the joint—and spent 20-plus years cobbling together 6,000 square feet, six bedrooms, two living rooms and eight bathrooms in one of Central Park West’s formerly less-fabulous buildings—Harperley Hall has become acceptable to Metacapital Management’s Deepak Narula, who knows a bargain when he sees one. Read more »
- 29 May 2013 at 5:32 PM
- 04 Jan 2013 at 2:08 PM
What motivates a hedge fund manager to continue busting his ass to churn out profits year after year, once he’s already amassed a fortune most people can’t even fathom, when he could easily pack it all in and live more than comfortably without ever working another day? For some, it’s the thrill. For others, it’s the trophy’s wife’s shoe habit. For Crispin Odey, it’s the chickens.
The Odey Asset Management founder (and sausage brand ambassador)’s got a mess of high-maintenance ones and earlier this year, had architects draft blueprints of a “Palladian-style” mansion he intended to build them (seen at left), replete with a grey zinc roof, “pediments, cornice, architrave, and frieze in English oak,” and columns “hewn from the finest grey Forest of Dean standstone.” After finishing 2011 down 20.3%, things were no doubt more than a little tense over in Herefordshire, where questions of whether or not construction would have to be halted, or if they’d have to make the switch to [whispers] generic-brand feed. Certainly a moment of panic swept over Odey each day when he returned home, wondering as he turned the knob if he’d be entering an empty house, the chickens gone and a note explaining they couldn’t do this anymore on the fridge. Ran off with the general contractor because what was the point of shacking up with a money manger if the money wasn’t there? Luckily for all parties involved, it won’t have to come to that; according to Bloomberg Markets’ annual ranking of the top performing hedge funds, performing under pressure is one of Odey’s specialities. Read more »
- Deepak Narula Turns Two Years Of Double-Digit Returns Into Madonna's Apartment May 29, 2013
- Opening Bell: 09.30.14 September 30, 2014
- Pimco: Jim From Accounting's Departure Would Cause $10 Billion In Outflows September 29, 2014
- Not All Hedge Funds Totally Worthless September 29, 2014
- Tim Geithner Was Risk Averse Before He Was Treasury Secretary September 30, 2014
- Greenwich Man Turns 60 September 29, 2014
- Fox Business Senior Boombox Correspondent Infiltrates Pimco Trading Floor September 29, 2014
- Bill Gross Made It Through Entire Job Interview Without Referring To Himself As The Triple Crown Of Newport Beach September 29, 2014
- Firing/Clawback Watch '14: Lloyds September 29, 2014
- David Einhorn Just Came Into Some Bagel Money September 29, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com