In recognition of all of Greece’s achievements in recent months—and possibly to avoid being made to look the fool by hedge funds and S&P—Fitch has awarded the country a not-so-coveted B-minus sovereign debt rating. Five more upgrades and Greece will be a borderline investment-grade opportunity! Read more »
Fitch ratings agency downgraded debt-crippled Greece deeper into junk territory on Thursday, warning of a “probable” Greek exit from the euro currency union if new national elections next month produce an anti-bailout government. Fitch said it had cut Greece’s rating by one notch, from B- to CCC, the lowest possible grade for a country that is not in default. [AP]
The Viking ship Fitch Ratings continued it’s marauding in the British Isles today, sending shivers throughout the United Kingdom.
Well, maybe not throughout. But certainly in London, the ratings agency’s word that the U.K. is the triple-A rated country most at risk of a downgrade was heard loud and clear, as the pound tumbled and the prime minister mumbled.
Fitch didn’t exactly say that Britain is about to go the way of Iceland, or even of Ireland. It didn’t even cut its outlook, as Standard & Poor’s did earlier this year, saying the U.K.’s top credit rating is “resilient.” But it did say that the country requires the “largest budget adjustment” of any triple-A rated sovereign. And we all know that you can take a ratings agency at its word.
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Greek Debt: Still Junk, But Less So May 15, 2013
- Credit Suisse Employee Moonlights As Breakdancing National Champion December 6, 2013
- Using Yiddish Word For Screwing Only One Of The Many Colorful Ways That Bernie Madoff Made Clear He Was Up To No Good December 6, 2013
- Don't Want To Get On Compliance's Watch List? Consider Not Going On Endlessly About How Ravenous You Are Or How They're Expecting You At Chipotle; One "God Damn It I'm Starving" Or "Need Burrito In Mouth, Stat" Should Suffice December 6, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino's Gut Tells Him Trouble Is Brewing At Goldman Sachs, Though In Fairness That Could Just Be Last Night's Chinese December 6, 2013
- Who Among Us Wouldn't Listen To A Guy Pitch An Investment Involving "Pay-Per-View Programming Starring Carmen Electra" And Proceed To Wire Him $195,000? December 5, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.06.13 December 6, 2013
- Christmas Come Early For John Paulson December 6, 2013
- Tommy Belesis Will Have To Wait At Least 1 Year Before Threatening To Hit Another Broker With His Car December 5, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com