At their best, these [pre-Thanksgiving] reunions are a chance for old friends to catch up. At their worst, they are the source of the moniker “Blackout Wednesday” in some hard-partying bars. Either way, these gatherings have made the Wednesday before Thanksgiving one of the biggest party nights of the year. “That night is even bigger than New Year’s Eve,” says James Brown, owner of San Pedro Brewing Co., a neighborhood brew pub outside Los Angeles. It’s a see-and-be-seen kind of night,” he says. “In the suburbs, the night is absolutely the biggest night of the year,” says Drew Zuccarini, manager. “That Wednesday night has grown into the pinnacle event of the holiday weekend,” says Ken Henricks of Bottleneck Management Group, which owns four Chicago-area bars. “It used to be, ‘Oh, let’s get together Wednesday because it’s convenient.’ ” Now, he says, “for a certain demographic it has become an institution.” [WSJ]
Hungarian billionaires who like to party
- 23 Nov 2011 at 12:55 PM
- 28 Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Football is back, and 1-week fantasy juggernaut DraftKings.com is offering a guaranteed $5,000,000 in prizes.
DraftKings has a special offer for Dealbreaker readers—make a first time deposit and get free entry into a $100,000 contest.
Or if you’re a high roller, you can pay $200 to compete for $1,000,000 in prizes in the NFL Sunday Million contest.
So what is 1-week fantasy? On DraftKings, it’s simple. You draft a new team every time you want to play. Choosing from the list of available players, you pick the best possible team under DraftKings’ allotted salary cap. Payouts are instant and completely secure, and DraftKings is 100% legal.
Click on any of the links in this article to claim your free entry into the DraftKings $100,000 Week 1 contest.
- Tell George Soros Something He Doesn't Know November 23, 2011
- Swiss Bankers Suddenly Bashful About Listing "Sparkling Water," "Hooker For Client" On Expense Reports August 29, 2014
- Every Second Of Jefferies CEO's Ice Bucket Challenge Is Better Than The Last August 27, 2014
- Kyle Bass Not Entirely Thrilled With Paul Singer At The Moment August 28, 2014
- Get Ready To Hear "I'll Have My Assistant Make A Reservation At Denny's" A Lot More Often August 29, 2014
- Horror In The Hamptons: Rosé Shortage Edition August 27, 2014
- Opening Bell: 08.29.14 August 29, 2014
- Steve Ballmer Offers Primer On How To Buy A Major League Sports Team August 26, 2014
- Write-Offs: 08.29.14 August 29, 2014
- Pay Hike Watch '14: Raises For Everyone (Under 25)! August 21, 2014
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com