Although the Morgan Stanley’s handling of the social media site’s disastrous stock offering is under scrutiny by just about every business news outlet under the sun, a Wall Street insider tells us the investment banking’s corporate communications warriors are blaming CNBC for engaging in some pre-IPO hyping of their own. CNBC senior vice president and editor in chief Nik Deogun “is under fire,” says the source. “Morgan Stanley is telling him, ‘How dare you criticize us when you guys promoted this IPO worse than anybody.’ ” The source recalls examples of CNBC’s on-air exuberance in the days leading up to the IPO, including treating Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg ’s entrance at the kick-off of the company’s investors road show at the Sheraton hotel in midtown as if it were “the President’s State of the Union Address” with multiple cameras and reporters. Then on May 17, the day before the actual IPO, the hosts of CNBC’s “Fast Money” appeared on camera wearing hoodies — a reference to Zuckerberg’s favorite fashion item, which came off like an homage to the baby billionaire. That same day, controversial “Mad Money” host Jim Cramer told his viewers, who tend to be mom-and-pop investors and market-playing college students, “If you can get in on the actual IPO, then I think Facebook is a no-brainer.” He added: “We all know this one’s going to pop like crazy on its first day of trading, so if you can get in on the deal, I think you should try to get your hands on as many shares as possible.”…CNBC spokesman Brian Steel said: “CNBC’s Facebook coverage has been widely acknowledged as fair, balanced and insightful.” [NYDN, related, related]
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- Morgan Stanley Suggests CNBC Check Themselves Before They Wreck Themselves June 21, 2012
- Are You A First-Year Analyst But Want To Look Like You're Punching Above Your Weight? December 9, 2013
- Guy Who Worked In Notorious Boiler Room Where He Was Urged By Boss To Slit His Throat Has Already Fandangoed His Tickets To The Movie December 9, 2013
- New HLF Product: The Tables Have Turned December 9, 2013
- Bob Diamond Goes Where He's Pretty Sure No One's Ever Heard Of Him December 9, 2013
- Bernie Madoff Has Regrets December 9, 2013
- JPMorgan Legal Liabilities: An Update December 9, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.09.13 December 9, 2013
- Steve Cohen Would Never Have Listened To Mathew Martoma's Advice About Stocks: Mathew Martoma's Lawyers December 9, 2013
- Opening Bell: 12.09.13 December 9, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com