A refrain typically heard when discussing Jim Simons’ Renaissance Technologies is that it “must” be a Ponzi scheme. Those shouting ‘Ponz’ simply can’t wrap their minds about the eye-popping returns in the Medallion fund-made up mostly of employee money- and the comparatively less stellar performance of RIEF and RIFF. They’re also made nervous by the huge computers housed on RenTec’s campus-esque grounds; throw in a socially awkward CEO who professes to hate human interaction and a couple of unicycles and Ponzi is the only way they can square things away. These people are, of course, imbeciles and the statement “Jim Simons hates the feeling of nicotine in his lungs” would hold more weight. No, the quants at Renaissance are far too intelligent to run some amateur hour scam any hack broker could pull off. They make honestly, through complex algorithms and loopholes in labor laws. Read more »
Popularized in films like Limitless, legal smart drugs called Nootropics are becoming more and more prevalent in board rooms and on Wall Street.Keep reading »
Keep reading »
It’s not just doctors and scientists that need STEM education. America’s shifting economy is demanding more trained workers in many different sectors. See how Travis Brooks got the hands-on education he needed to become a technician at the Chevron Pascagoula Refinery. Visit The Atlantic to learn more.
- Hedge Fund Manager Keeps A Detailed Record Of All The Asses He's Grabbed
- Arizona State Now Has Multiple Business Schools To Choose From
- 10 Reasons Wall Street Is Using Smart Drugs Crush Work
- Ex-Jefferies Exec Convicted Of Fraud Has Bone To Pick With The Guy Who Turned Him In
- Ruble’s Historic Freefall, Russian Economic Collapse Not Fazing Vladimir Putin
- Bonus Watch '14: Investment Analyst Turned Fantasy Sports Team General Manager
- JOBS Act Helps Hedge Fund Raise Money Through Widespread Advertising
- Dealbreaker Dramatic Reading Night Returns Wednesday
- If You Stand Perfectly Still, Dan Loeb Cannot See You: Sony Execs
- The Indomitable Dov Charney Strikes Again
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com