ProPublica reports that JPMorgan is being investigated by the SEC to determine whether or not the bank adequately disclosed to investors that the securities that went into a CDO were selected by hedge fund Magnetar Capital, which was betting against the deal (JPMorgan apparently lost approximately $880 million on the deal and what’s more). Two problems seem apparent up front– one, unlike Goldman Sachs, whose CDO had the badass name of ABACUS, JPMorgan’s version is called “Squared.” And two, no one has said anything about the role of a Frenchman who describes himself as “fabulous” and writes gushy emails to his ex-girlfriend on the company dime. That’s not going to bode well for JPMorgan when it comes time for Congress to decide whether or not this thing is worthy of a hearing and/or Senator Carl Levin describing it as “shitty” 700 times on live TV. Given that everything on Wall Street is a competition, and JPMorgan is no poor man’s Goldman, I’m going to go ahead and tip off JD and Co as to the only way they’re going to be able to come out on top of this thing. If this woman’s involvement in the deal comes to light: Read more »
- 01 Nov 2010 at 4:53 PM
- 09 Apr 2010 at 4:56 PM
Jesse Eisinger and Jake Bernstein of ProPublica just published an exhaustive narrative on what has become known on Wall Street as the Magnetar trade.
We won’t ruin it for you, but basically the giant Chicago hedge fund, started by former Citadel trader Alec Litowitz (left), helped create $40 billion worth of extremely toxic CDOs after housing prices began to slide in late 2006. With the help of nearly every bank of Wall Street those CDOs were sold to other investors. Read more »
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- JPMorgan Investigated For ABACUS-Like Deal So Far Lacking Similar Intrigue November 1, 2010
- Michael Steinberg Wasn't Sure Steve Cohen Would Be Thrilled To Hear He Was Insider Trading, Needed To Work Out The Pros And Cons First December 3, 2013
- Cliff Asness Has A Lot Of Problems With You People December 3, 2013
- Gary Cohn Chooses Not To Say, "I ran into Jamie Dimon on the first night of Hannukkah and asked him what it was like to have a menorah shoved up his ass" In The Presence Of A Reporter December 3, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino Has An Idea December 3, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.03.13 December 3, 2013
- How To Be More Like Goldman Sachs, Part Four December 3, 2013
- Wells Fargo Not A Huge Hit Among The Bridge-Burning Analyst-Hopeful Class November 25, 2013
- Commerzbank Is Entertaining Some Uninvited Guests Today December 3, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com