Increasingly, restaurants are recording whether you are a regular, a first-timer, someone who lives close by or a friend of the owner or manager. They archive where you like to sit, when you will celebrate a special occasion and whether you prefer your butter soft or hard, Pepsi over Coca-Cola or sparkling over still water. In many cases, they can trace your past performance as a diner; how much you ordered, tipped and whether you were a “camper” who lingered at the table long after dessert…Much of this information is discreetly embedded in an alphabet soup of acronyms that pops up on the computer screen when a restaurant employee checks you in, managers and employees at a number of high-end New York restaurants said in interviews. The wine whale may show up as WW. If a free appetizer lands on your table at Osteria Morini in SoHo, chances are your file says SFN — something for nothing…At Marea, Michael White’s Italian restaurant on Central Park South, for instance, the hedge fund manager William A. Ackman is a regular and one of many customers who rates an NR, never refuse. What the computer does not say (but the general manager, Rocky Cirino, knows) is that servers can never seat Mr. Ackman next to Carl C. Icahn, another big Wall Street name. The two have sued each other. [NYT]
- 27 Nov 2013 at 1:30 PM
The holiday season is nigh and you still haven’t shopped. While you’re dreaming only of sugar plum fairies bearing fat bonuses, you don’t the time to mingle with the riff raff at some big box nightmare. Dealbreaker is here to help. Behold the 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide, chockfull of descriptors like “custom,” “gourmet,” “housecleaning,” and “DB swag.”
Click through to check out all of our gift choices for the hardcore capitalist in your life.
- First Class Customer Service At Marea Means Never Seating Bill Ackman Next To A CSMFPOS September 5, 2012
- Michael Steinberg Wasn't Sure Steve Cohen Would Be Thrilled To Hear He Was Insider Trading, Needed To Work Out The Pros And Cons First December 3, 2013
- Cliff Asness Has A Lot Of Problems With You People December 3, 2013
- Gary Cohn Chooses Not To Say, "I ran into Jamie Dimon on the first night of Hannukkah and asked him what it was like to have a menorah shoved up his ass" In The Presence Of A Reporter December 3, 2013
- The 2013 Dealbreaker Holiday Gift Guide November 27, 2013
- Charlie Gasparino Has An Idea December 3, 2013
- Write-Offs: 12.03.13 December 3, 2013
- How To Be More Like Goldman Sachs, Part Four December 3, 2013
- Wells Fargo Not A Huge Hit Among The Bridge-Burning Analyst-Hopeful Class November 25, 2013
- Opening Bell: 12.04.13 December 4, 2013
- Executive Editor
- Bess Levin
How Can We Help You?
- Send tips to:
- For tech issues email:
- For advertising or events email:
- For research or custom solutions email:
- Dealbreaker is published by Breaking Media.
For a full list of our sites, services and staff visit breakingmedia.com